AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently one of the nice features of the Pio 503CMX is the fact that it's upgradeable via the video card slot. I currently have Dish satellite. What is the benefit of getting a high-end video card like the TVP1000? What does it do that the PDA5002 can't? I appreciate any updates. :)

·
Registered
533 Posts
The primary purpose of the TVP1000 is the RF Cable TV Tuner, whereas the PDA5002 does not have such a RF input.

The additional benefits of the TVP1000 include a built-in scaler, and PIP capabilities.

Nonetheless, most of our customers end up sticking with the PDA-5002, especially if they are tuning through a Digital Cable Box or DSS Receiver which you are.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Neil

Do you believe that in the near future(1 year or less) that either pio or a 3rd party will have a upgrade card that will include either hdtv ota tuner or be dvcp compliant . Just wondering what the future holds for realistic upgrade opportunities

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
The TVP-1000 has a third component input in place of the computer-only DVI connection on the PDA-5002. The TVP-1000+ will add an HDCP-compliant DVI input and the TVP-1000HD will evidently add ATSC tuner capabilities.

Key Digital will also be soon offering a new "HD Leeza-on-a-card" video processor that will also provide an upgrade path that includes DVI-HDCP compatibility. It remains to be seen whether or not Pioneer themselves will offer a PDA-5002 replacement that adds HDCP decoding capabilities. I've heard nothing about such a replacement card in the works, but you never know.

-- Gary

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.