Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

After much research, having read the reviews and threads on this great product, I have decided that this is the processor I want for my

Home Theatre.

However, there are some drawbacks I have to deal with, firstly I cannot demo the unit , secondly it is strictly 110V, and we are 240v here in Australia, and thirdly I don't think there will be any warranty provisions.

That is a chance I will have to take, am I crazy?

So my three questions I have are:

a) Will there be any performance drawbacks if I run a good step down transformer?

b) Can anyone provide a link to USA or Canadian dealers who are selling it

at a good price? Not sure what the going price is to be honest? Our dollar

is travelling pretty well against the US$ and Can$. Perhaps you good folks

could send me a PM.

c) Is the unit now being shipped with the IEEE1394 input, or is this an option offered by authorised dealers for fitting?

Any help with this would be truly appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,

Andrew...

·
Registered
707 Posts
a) I could not tell you what that would do. My first thoughts are no, but I am no EE.

b) I could check EBAY or Audiogon for one. Since you are not going to get Warranty support, get a slightly used one.

c) The IEEE1394 port, like on most processors now, is inactive. No announcements as of yet when it will be activated, but it will most likely not be code so a trip to a dealer would be needed to get it activated.

With all that, if it was me, I would get something supported locally. But that is just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
For "power conversion" , you can use a PLC ( power regenerator ) product like the PS Audio P300 & P600, and be sure it has Multi-Wave2 & Powerports options as they definitely sound better.

The P300 + P600 have an internal 120/240v switch and will regenerate "clean" 120v AC on its outputs. The newer P500 will not work as it does not have an internal switch.

An "audiophile" friend of mine is moving from Toronto to Germany next month and bought a P600 for this purpose. This way he can keep his current SACD player, amp, and Martin Logan speakers without sending them to the factory for transformer modifications.

And you gain the benefits of one helluva PLC !

Check Audiogon.com for deals on used gear.

- Andy

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by fitsman
With all that, if it was me, I would get something supported locally. But that is just my opinion.
I agree with this suggestion. Too many risks and unknowns to try and deal with Anthem long distance. I would be less apprehensive if the AVM-20 were voltage switchable to 240v.

Michael

·
Registered
435 Posts
AVM-20 in silver...excellent choice! ;)

Andy Lammer said:
Quote:
An "audiophile" friend of mine is moving from Toronto to Germany next month and bought a P600 for this purpose.
Ouch, my back is hurting just thinking about moving this monster!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.