AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago my HDTV was working fine, but when I checked Saturday night it didn't work anymore. Is there some problem with the NBC station or is it just me?

[This message has been edited by kwokomole (edited 07-09-2001).]

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
thanx! Ill also try to see if I can get channel 10. Do youi think its possible since I live near campus of UT?

·
Registered
18 Posts
You know something guys? I think it's criminal that KEYE hasn't gone digital yet. We all know that NBC's HD lineup is pathetic (just that idiot Leno). CBS is the only network that seems to have committed to providing HD programming and KEYE, a CBS owned station, isn't digital yet.

I even emailed them to ask what was up and received a reply that they would be lucky if they made the May 2002 deadline for the digital transmitter. And Waco has it before us? Waco?

I want my CSI in HD!!

(Just venting...)

-Jim

·
Registered
156 Posts
It's more than likely a tower problem. They seem to have had some trouble lately. I haven't checked it lately as I'm more concerned with CBS out of Waco (ch.53). That is back up now, so if you can tune in channel 10 analog out of Waco, you might be able to get some real HD from CBS! I'll turn the antenna around tonight and see what's up with KXAN.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kwokomole:
thanx! Ill also try to see if I can get channel 10. Do youi think its possible since I live near campus of UT?
I don't know if you can. Are you close to any of the hi-rises? If so, I'm not sure if you can with the multipath interference. Try this link and see what stations they say you can get. It's a start-
http://www.antennaweb.org/antennaweb/ if they show some of the Temple/Killeen area channels you may have a shot. Let us know how it turns out. Good luck!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jlquinn:
You know something guys? I think it's criminal that KEYE hasn't gone digital yet. We all know that NBC's HD lineup is pathetic (just that idiot Leno). CBS is the only network that seems to have committed to providing HD programming and KEYE, a CBS owned station, isn't digital yet.

I even emailed them to ask what was up and received a reply that they would be lucky if they made the May 2002 deadline for the digital transmitter. And Waco has it before us? Waco?

I want my CSI in HD!!

(Just venting...)

-Jim
I feel for you! I felt the same way until I saw that Waco was on the CBS list of stations broadcasting in HD. I got the same standard BS from the KEYE engineers when I emailed them. It is sad that we (Austin) are lagging behind in the HDTV push. Maybe if more people that can get the Waco station email KEYE that we are not tuning in to their station anymore because of no HDTV, they might hurry up and get moving. After all, it is the numbers of viewers ($$ advertising money $$) that mean everything to the stations and if they know they are losing market share because of it, who knows what may happen.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm not getting my HD off air. (Not that it would matter because living near Manor, I doubt I could get the Waco station anyway) Time Warner is coming out Friday to install their HD box. At least with that, I'll have HD HBO and Showtime. I'm not even sure if they carry KXAN in digital. I hope they do even though I would have a hard time stomaching Leno.

Doesn't matter, though. I still want CSI in HD... and Letterman too for that matter... But that's another can of worms entirely...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When will the other major networks (ABC, FOX, WB, UPN) come out with DTV. I think austin really sucks when it comes to technology. It makes me kinda agged..hehehe. It just makes me wanna go home to houston just to watch tv. I like watching tv alot thats why. Also do you need a HDTV box to watch digital cable or could I just use my DTV card in my computer?

·
Registered
18 Posts
TW will provide a special digital cable HD box at no additional cost (for now, at least). I just got mine on Friday and HBO and Showtime HD are stunning. I don't think that they are carrying KXAN digitally right now. (Of course, I've stated elsewhere that the only NBC HD program isn't worth watching anyway)

As for using a PC card, I doubt that would work since I'm under the impression that the HD signal carried over cable is different from the signal from OTA.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I could care less about KEYE any more. The new Dish agreement with CBS allows you to receive CBS from 61.5 starting in the fall. As far as I'm concerned KEYE can lose ad revenue from losing HD people like me...laggards...

·
Registered
212 Posts
ReeseG -

That is great news! Has this been confirmed? Is it going to cost extra for this channel?

If it does happen I'll be happy and ticked at the same time... I've spent plenty of time and $ over the last 2 months trying to pick up 10 out of Waco... I get anywhere from 50-61% strength... some nights I am happily watching killer shows like Nash Bridges in glorious HD, other nights I have to resort to crappy 'ol Leno. I was contemplating swapping out the UHF part of my antenna with an even bigger one, but now that I read your post I don't think I'll bother.

Though I hate watching Leno - I do have to give his show some credit... I think it is some of the best quality HDTV that you can see! After all, his studio did updrade to HD cameras, so the show is true HDTV like the Dish Demo channel... far better than upconverted movies. I find myself watching Leno just to be amazed by the quality.

Lord British

Quote:
Originally posted by ReeseG:
I could care less about KEYE any more. The new Dish agreement with CBS allows you to receive CBS from 61.5 starting in the fall. As far as I'm concerned KEYE can lose ad revenue from losing HD people like me...laggards...

·
Registered
247 Posts
Yes. It's confirmed. I also tried desperately to get Waco on channel 53. It was a hit or miss proposition. I begged K-EYE's engineering to get on the air, but now that the CBS agreement with DISH is a done deal (Austin being a CBS owned affiliate, you don't even need a waiver), I'll be happily watching CBS on 61.5 from DISH Network while K-EYE continues its extensions and rebuffs to HD advocates like ourselves.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Jim,

You're right, it is criminal. What a disappointment--Austin is supposed to be a bleeding edge technology city and only KXAN is going to be on-air before the deadline (and I bet several stations even get extensions). Even if KXAN doesn't have anything to show except Leno, at least they're trying. Plus that Mavericks playoff game was a blast. Maybe this coming year NBC will add at least a couple of shows (ER would be a logical choice).

·
Registered
212 Posts
billharris4-

I am confused about your statement that only KXAN will meet the deadline... which deadline do you mean? This site on the Net lists when channels are supposed to go digital:
http://www.titantv.com/ttv/programming/ComingSoon.asp

I'm not sure what that link will show you... I made a profile with my location and when I view the page it shows me the upcoming digital stations in Austin.

According to them, next up is WB 49 KNVA-DT which will go live Jan of 2002. ABC 26 KXXV-DT, CBS 43 KEYE-DT, FOX 56 KTBC-DT, IND 7 K13VC-DT, and UPN 2 KBEJ-DT are all supposed to go live in May of 2002. After that, there are 2 PBS channels and another ABC, due to go live in 2003 and 2004.

Do you think these dates are just wishful thinking?

Lord British

Quote:
Originally posted by billharris4:
Jim,

You're right, it is criminal. What a disappointment--Austin is supposed to be a bleeding edge technology city and only KXAN is going to be on-air before the deadline (and I bet several stations even get extensions). Even if KXAN doesn't have anything to show except Leno, at least they're trying. Plus that Mavericks playoff game was a blast. Maybe this coming year NBC will add at least a couple of shows (ER would be a logical choice).

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've got a little insight on this topic. I contacted KEYE (CBS) and was told that they were "hoping" to make next May's deadline although the engineer who responded said he thought that would likely not happen.

I have a friend who works at KVUE and their station ownership (BELO) is constantly crying poverty and seems unlikely to switch until forced to. I believe they're the station listed for January 2004.

As for the other stations listed there, several of those aren't actually normally received in the Austin market. Of the ones that are, KNVA, which says January of next year, is owned by the same people as KXAN, so, I guess it makes sense that they would be on sooner since KXAN is. Of course, I don't really think that the WB's HD lineup is going to be anything to get excited about for some time.

KTBC (Fox) claims they're on track for the deadline but Fox has stated that they're only planning 480p, not 720p or 1080i, so nothing to get too excited about there either.

So, it looks like those of us in Austin are going to be out of luck in regards to true HD programming for a long while. I just hope that even if KEYE misses the May 2002 deadline, they'll at least have it up and going before the 2002 fall season starts in September but, I'm not holding my breath.

·
Registered
212 Posts
jlquinn -

Thanks for the info! Now that we will soon be able to get CBS via the dish, I'm pretty happy as the only channels we are missing here in Austin will be ABC and FOX. Though they do have some HD, I'm just thankful that we'll get CBS because they really rock!

The thing that annoys me the most though is that Austin is supposed to be such a high-tech mecca, yet we lag far behind other Texas cities and US cities in general when it comes to HD. I know at least 8 people who would buy HD sets if more content was avalable. Oh well.... I'm happy enjoying what I can for now.

Lord British

Quote:
Originally posted by jlquinn:
I've got a little insight on this topic. I contacted KEYE (CBS) and was told that they were "hoping" to make next May's deadline although the engineer who responded said he thought that would likely not happen.

I have a friend who works at KVUE and their station ownership (BELO) is constantly crying poverty and seems unlikely to switch until forced to. I believe they're the station listed for January 2004.

As for the other stations listed there, several of those aren't actually normally received in the Austin market. Of the ones that are, KNVA, which says January of next year, is owned by the same people as KXAN, so, I guess it makes sense that they would be on sooner since KXAN is. Of course, I don't really think that the WB's HD lineup is going to be anything to get excited about for some time.

KTBC (Fox) claims they're on track for the deadline but Fox has stated that they're only planning 480p, not 720p or 1080i, so nothing to get too excited about there either.

So, it looks like those of us in Austin are going to be out of luck in regards to true HD programming for a long while. I just hope that even if KEYE misses the May 2002 deadline, they'll at least have it up and going before the 2002 fall season starts in September but, I'm not holding my breath.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Wow, this thread is *exactly* what I was looking for.

I'm an Austin resident and am exploring my options for upgrading my TV viewing experience. I'd really like to hear opinions from an Austin perspective.

Right now, I'm recieving digital cable to a standard NTSC TV. The important thing here to note is that I also get my Roadrunner cablemodem service through TimeWarner, and have been happy with that service. It'd be a tough sell getting rid of that in favor of a dish service, but not impossible.

I'm interested in getting a 16:9 direct view monitor and adding it to my existing setup, but the current options along with the upcoming changes to some HD related standards have me in a very cautious state of mind.

Another wrinkle to this is that I'm an avid stand-alone Tivo user, and would like to continue to time-shift programs with that box if possible. I know its nearly impossible to time-shift HD content right now, but there it is.

Given what is available in the Austin area, do you people have any suggestions?

Many thanks. --ma

·
Registered
247 Posts
ma,

Two considerations moving to DISH/Sat.

First, you get CBS-HD off the 61.5 sat. starting Tuesday.

Locally, KEYE has consistently stated through comments made to forum members that they will not make the deadline, so don't hold your breath on seeing CBS locally...unless of course you live way North of town and can pull in Waco.

I'm way North off 1431 and still don't get Waco except when topo winds are moving our direction (digital channel 53). But then again, I get Houston Digital channels too when the hot winds blow, and it's so rare that its hit or miss.

Second, in order to get ShowtimeHD and HBOHD from Time Warner, you need the HD digital cable box, which, as I understand it, is different than their new digital interactive box and also very hard to get.

I've been waitlisted for the unit, so if I ever get one, I'll let you know if its any good.

Another common opinion is that the Time Warner picture and audio quality of many local channels is so bad (For example, missing a missing audio channel when in stereo, or moving 60Hz banding, etc.) that I'll probably never leave DISHs Digital Dolby audio quality. Although, from a picture quality perspective, their MPEG compression and issues with the Dish 6000 up/down conversion leave a somewhat soft image from time to time (also depends on channel).

Finally, the last consideration is that DISH has extra capacity to drive HD options and has the most current options for Austin viewers in HDTV that I'm aware of.

I haven't seen anything other than lip service on HD options from DirecTV, (the other sat provider) which is why I cancelled them over a year ago.

Good luck...

·
Registered
395 Posts
Thanks Reeseg, that helps quite a bit.

Obviously, I have to figure out what I want to do with my cable connection. I'd hate to pay for a hookup that I only use for my internet hookup, but I'd probably do so if it weren't too horrible. OTA sounds like its pretty much in the future and very little. I'm in West Austin out in the hills, so I may have reception problems anyway.

Dish network sounds like it has its problems too, but I'm wondering if the value of the proscan technology. Is that a big plus for those of us who also watch quite a few DVD's?

Again, thanks for the Austin viewpoint. It sure helps. --ma

·
Registered
891 Posts
I'm in the same boat -- recently got a front-projector that I'd love to try out some HDTV on, but am frustrated by the lack of OTA broadcasts.

What I'm considering at the moment is going with Dish for CBS-HD and getting the OTA module for the 6000 receiver so I can get NBC. I called Dish and it sounds like you can get just the locals (including CBS-HD in Austin) for $9/mo, which is tempting.

I have a cable modem and analog cable with TW which I'm very happy with (able to trivially split it between ReplayTV/TV/VCR) and would hate to get a receiver/cable box for normal viewing. And since my projector is relatively expensive to run, it would be the only thing hooked up to the Dish receiver and I'd use it just for HD.

I tried looking around online for deals on just a dish for the 61.5 sat and the 6000 receiver, but none included just those (and most required a "Top 100 for a year" commitment that I'm not interested in). I'm going to talk to a local retailer and see what I can do. I'll keep y'all posted.

Oh, and LB, I didn't know you frequented these forums! I think we met briefly when Warren was giving you a tour of our building (I'm lead programmer on DX2). Small world. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.