Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got off the phone with Lee O'Brian at Time Warner --

have been having signal dropouts on the high definition channels.

I asked about HD Discovery, and he said it WILL be available for cable as well as satellite (contrary to some reports over in the programming sub-forum), but that Time Warner Austin hadn't committed to it yet.

He suggested that (and filled out for me) every time we contact Time Warner, we ask the Time Warner rep to fill out a channel request for HD DIscovery. He said that these requests do work (he used BBC America as an example).

I further questioned him on HDNet, and he said that HDNet would become available in July/August, and that we should ask any contacts to fill out channel requests for that channel too.

Lee seems to be very enthusiastic about high definition -- as well the

high definition team leader should!

Joe

·
Registered
395 Posts
I've spoken with Lee before; he is very helpful and informative in as far as he's able. Be careful not to get your hopes up too high though. As you probably know, there are so many stories told to high definition consumers, not to mention rumors and just hopeful thinking that turn into promises that aren't kept.

I'm sure Lee is honest and telling it like he sees it, but Austin remains pretty much an HD wasteland. Until that starts changing, I'll look at these as just hopeful rumors.

On the plus side though, I didn't know anything about a "channel request". Is this just something you can call in and ask for? Did you do one yourself? What number does one call to do a channel request?

Here's hoping for better HD in Austin! --Karl

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He said you can ask anyone in customer service to file one for you -- apparently they go to a single collection point where they are used to help make programming decisions.

Of course, I know it is a longshot to get these channels. But if we sit around moping over the lack of HD, it doesn't get us anywhere. I'd rather be proactive and see if I can get things moving. The more people they are aware of with HD sets, the more chamce we get more channels. And, in general, Time Warner seems to be pretty good with the switch to digital -- look at all the markets where they carry digital locals (like Houston).

Joe

·
Registered
395 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DrJoe
He said you can ask anyone in customer service to file one for you -- apparently they go to a single collection point where they are used to help make programming decisions.

Of course, I know it is a longshot to get these channels. But if we sit around moping over the lack of HD, it doesn't get us anywhere. I'd rather be proactive and see if I can get things moving. The more people they are aware of with HD sets, the more chamce we get more channels. And, in general, Time Warner seems to be pretty good with the switch to digital -- look at all the markets where they carry digital locals (like Houston).

Joe
I'm with you all the way. Before your post I didn't even think that TimeWarner even listened in any way to their customers. I'd love to be wrong about that!

I called in just now; I had to explain what I wanted three times. When she finally understood, she filled out a "QA" form noting that I wanted Discovery-HD and HDNet.

The number is for customer support is: 512-485-5555.

--Karl

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have spoken with Bill at Time Warner a couple times. He also told me to call and request both Discovery and HDNet. I also asked several associates to call and request those channels, even though none of them have HDTV. I just wish we could get our network affiliates to go live on cable. I was just reading the thread about HD football on CBS and getting real jealous. I am waiting on a call right now from either Lee or Bill about the loss of an HD signal over the last few days. Have any of you heard what the problems are? Things have been much better since I received the 3100HD

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been experiencing HD dropouts since day 1 -- I called Lee because they dropped out completely two days ago.

He is looking into the cause of the problem:

1)at the head end

2)at the house/street connection (they may need to upgrade the cable from the street to the house)

3)at the house (I have 4 rooms hooked up and no outside amplifier)

4)at the splitter (I have 4 things hooked to the cable in the living room -- VCR, TV, ReplayTV, and Cable Box; I use an RS 4-way amplifier; removing the VCR didn't help; using a two way splitter to Cable Box/Amplifier didn't work)

He has someone coming out Sunday morning to check problems 2-4; he has someone on the head end checking the signal/box.

He didn't act like this was a general problem; he did mention that the signal spec for HD was much tighter than for digital cable in general -- he mentioned something like "optimal signal +/- 15 dB" for digital cable to work and "optimal signal +/- 9 dB" for HD -- the point being you could be in spec for all but the HD channels.

Joe

·
Registered
254 Posts
Well this is all very near and dear to my heart since I've been waiting to jump into the HD game for about a year now (and live in Austin.) I'll definitely have to call Time Warner and request HDNet and DiscoveryHD. In fact, if they had those two, I'd probably be willing to sign up. Is there still a rediculous wait period to get an HD box from them? My neighbor (jokingly) said he'd be happy to give me his because he's tired of getting just two channels...

As for OTA stations, I keep reading that KVUE won't be HD until sometime Q1 of next year ABC has some of the best HD content too!

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
I'd definitely go for TW if they carried HDNet or DiscoveryHD! I'll call in and request them. Oh, and I also echo themarshall's question about the sign-up list.

Is it true that you have to subscribe to digital cable in order to use their HD stb? I'm interested but it's a bit overpriced. Then, add on top of that the price for HBO and Showtime...just to get the HD channels.

On a different note, has anyone done comparisons between TW analog and digital cable? Is there a noticeable difference in noise/resolution?

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by CoryW
On a different note, has anyone done comparisons between TW analog and digital cable? Is there a noticeable difference in noise/resolution?
This is a mis-asked question:

With analog service,you get channels 01-77, see their lineup at www.timewarneraustin.com.

For digital service you get the same analog channels 01-77 plus a bunch of extra digital channels. The channels from 01-77 are still analog. You get digital PCM stereo or dolby digital (stereo or 5.1) audio for the digital channels only. Analog channels have no digital audio track.

Showtime and HBO are an additional $16.95/month fee ($10/month for either singly). When you subscribe to HBO and Showtime with the digital package, you get something like 10 channels for each plus Showtime-HD and HBO-HD.

Digital cable channels can be as good as the analog originals, but digitizing them may be cause some noticable artifacts. I've noticed significant aliasing for MLB games on their MLB Season Ticket, for example.

Later

Joe

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Thanks for the info Joe! I've always been curious as to what channels were actually digital...quite interesting. Of course, I always knew the word "digital" in "digital cable" was misleading - I just never the exact extent.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.