AVS Forum banner

7361 - 7380 of 7393 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Will any of these ATSC 3.0 channels broadcast programs in 4K and/or HDR in the short term?
From what I have been reading, it seems unlikely 4K will be broadcast, since they want to pack as many subchannels in as possible. Instead it seems possible though that they might broadcast some channels with 1080p and HDR.

·
Registered
33 Posts
One of my TVs has an ATSC 3.0 tuner, but I would really like to buy a box to use on my other TVs. Unfortunately, there are none available.
There are a couple of ATSC 3.0 tuner boxes that are supposed to come out soon, but they are not cheap:

Zapperbox for $249 Reserve Your ZapperBox M1 Now
HdHomeRun Quatro at $200 HDHomeRun ATSC 3.0

Zapperbox only says it will ship 4Q of this year. HdHomeRun was supposed to start shipping in August, but it appears that has not happened yet.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've run a couple iterations of the HDHomeRun ATSC products with tvheadend over the past 9 years in the Austin area, but yeah, still waiting on a 3.0 product myself.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
There are a couple of ATSC 3.0 tuner boxes that are supposed to come out soon, but they are not cheap:

Zapperbox for $249 Reserve Your ZapperBox M1 Now
HdHomeRun Quatro at $200 HDHomeRun ATSC 3.0

Zapperbox only says it will ship 4Q of this year. HdHomeRun was supposed to start shipping in August, but it appears that has not happened yet.
I’ll look into Zapperbox but you can’t order the HDHomeRun tuner anymore. I tried back in June and just missed the Kickstarter.

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
Does anyone know if KEYE (along with the other stations) made the frequency switch today? I haven't lost KEYE (ATSC 1.0) yet, but did lose MyNetworkTV and Antenna TV (both were on the same frequency associated with virtual 14.x). I did a rescan at about 10AM.

·
Registered
33 Posts
According to this website, it looks like KVBO-CD started broadcasting in ATSC 3.0 today. Can anyone with an ATSC 3.0 tuner see what channels they have?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Does anyone know if KEYE (along with the other stations) made the frequency switch today? I haven't lost KEYE (ATSC 1.0) yet, but did lose MyNetworkTV and Antenna TV (both were on the same frequency associated with virtual 14.x). I did a rescan at about 10AM.
KEYE isn't moving. KBVO-CD's MyTV channel is moving to KNVA's broadcast, Bounce and H&I are moving to KEYE, and Antenna TV is moving to KXAN. KBVO-CD is then flipping to ATSC 3 and carrying stuff from all 4 stations. KXLK-CD is also supposed to moving. Their arrangement is less complex since KXLK is a repeater of KAKW and all of its programming is also duplicated on KTFO-CD. For some reason, KXLK is also supposed to be carried on KTBC in exchange for carrying KTBC in ATSC 3.
According to this website, it looks like KVBO-CD started broadcasting in ATSC 3.0 today. Can anyone with an ATSC 3.0 tuner see what channels they have?

Can anyone with a regular HDHomeRun confirm if there is actually signal present on RF channels 14 and 31 that the tuner won't lock? I know someone who has an ATSC 3 tuner and a trip south could be arranged to take a look but there needs to be some evidence that there's something actually there to receive. Up here in Dallas, KSTR's broadcast has had a lot of downtime and hasn't had much of interest even when it is working.

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
KEYE isn't moving. KBVO-CD's MyTV channel is moving to KNVA's broadcast, Bounce and H&I are moving to KEYE, and Antenna TV is moving to KXAN.
Ah, okay, just the fact that KEYE had it on their website to rescan to be able to watch KEYE had me confused. Anyway I think they went a little past 10AM. I scanned again in the evening and all the channel moving seemed to be complete.
Source: RESCAN: CBS Austin's signal moving to different frequency

As an FYI, in the next 6 months or so I play to move into the DFW market (small town outside the metroplex) to get away from the craziness that is Austin. Still no TV with a ATSC 3.0 tuner, but it is on my list after the move.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My ATSC 1.0 tuner is still pulling in the ATSC 1.0 KXLK-CD subchannels on RF channel 14. So it appears they have not switched to ATSC 3.0. RF channel 31 is no longer broadcasting ATSC 1.0, but I can not tell if it is broadcasting ATSC 3.0, since I do not have a tuner for that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My dev HDHomeRun ATSC 3.0 box is on the way, so I'll scan and get the technical information on the ATSC 3.0 broadcast here as soon as it arrives. I'm guessing that there's only one mux operating right now, with all four of the stations on that signal, but I can't tell from FCC docs which one that would be.

KEYE's facility record (Facility Details « Licensing and Management System Admin « FCC) shows that they're acting as a guest on the ATSC3 signal of KBVO-CD. KBVO-CD's facility record (Facility Details « Licensing and Management System Admin « FCC) shows them guesting on KNVA for ATSC1 and being host for ATSC3. KBVO was given a license for ATSC3 in September. KXAN-TV is also listed as a guest for KBVO's ATSC3 signal in their facility record (Facility Details « Licensing and Management System Admin « FCC)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I dug up my old RF signal meter and it does look like there is a signal at RF 31 of around 65 dBuV from my location in North Austin. To put that in comparison, KNVA (a full power station) at RF channel 23 is showing a signal of around 87 dBuV. KXLK-CD (low power station) which is still broadcasting in ATSC 1.0 has a signal strength of around 72 dBuV.

·
Registered
13 Posts
After posting, I did a rescan, and noticed that all of the 14.x subchannels are now being broadcast on different muxes, with 14.1 being on KVNA's signal, 14.2 and 14.3 on KEYE, and 14.4 on KXAN.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just saw the announcement about the ATX stations. Any info available on what content is being broadcast and when?
According to TitanTV there are supposed to be 3 subchannels: KXAN-NG1 (virtual channel 36.1), KEYE-NG1 (virtual channel 42.1), and KNVA-NG1 (virtual channel 54.1). I believe these are all just ATSC 3.0 simulcasts for their ATSC 1.0 channels.

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
According to TitanTV there are supposed to be 3 subchannels: KXAN-NG1 (virtual channel 36.1), KEYE-NG1 (virtual channel 42.1), and KNVA-NG1 (virtual channel 54.1). I believe these are all just ATSC 3.0 simulcasts for their ATSC 1.0 channels.
No indication of which content is 4K HDR and ATMOS capable though? I would imagine it would be next to none at this point.

7361 - 7380 of 7393 Posts