AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Sony 32" 4:3 TV (KV32HV600) with auto 16:9 enhanced mode and a Sony progressive-scan DVD player (DAV-C770). The DVD is set to drive a 16:9 display, but the TV shows a full-height image until I force 16:9 enhanced mode ON manually.

Why doesn't "auto" enhanced mode do anything?

::

·
Registered
741 Posts
I have the same set and it works fine for me however I am currently running an Interlaced signal. Maybe it doesn't autosqueeze a progressive signal however I have not heard anyone mention this issue before and I'm sure I would have if it was a common one. What DVD are you using? It may be improperly flagged. Try a different one and see if it does the same thing.

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
There have been several reports on other threads of Sony 4:3 sets not doing the squeeze automatically with progressive DVD video input, only interlaced.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Quote:
Progressive Scan DVD players were built to play on *HDTV* sets, not on the old 4:3 analog TV. I have a RCA F-383310 wide screen HDTV, I have no problems. The progressive is doing a great job, get a HDTV and enjoy progressive scan DVD for a 480p view.

Buffalo how can you say until the picture has reached *full* height, *any pic* seen in 16 X 9 HAS the full height at all times, it's just your old analog thinking that has you confused.
Hob,

Apperantly after a year and a half on this forum and over 3300 posts you still don't know jack about HDTV. The set in question is not Analog, it is in fact digital and every bit HDTV capable as your RCA is(unless your set has a tuner built in). Also apperantly you dont understand the concept of anamorphic DVD either as you would know excactly what he meant by saying full height. Anamorphic DVD's are pre-stretched virtically so a 16x9 or 1.85:1 apect ratio will fill a 4x3 tv. A 16x9 set in "Full" mode stretches the image horizontally keeping the original aspect ratio.

See this and maybe you will learn something for a change:

http://www.dvdweb.co.uk/information/anamorphic.htm

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DVD set to 16:9 interlaced, auto enhanced mode works.

DVD set to 16:9 progressive, auto enhanced mode doesn't work.

I am guessing this functionality is by design.

I don't know how the TV can tell when it's getting a 16:9 signal in the first place -- what's different about a 16:9 signal from a 4:3 signal?

::

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hey Buffalo,

I think there is a data stream encoded into the signal that a chip within the TV recognizes and treats accordingly. I am sure there are someothers here that can go into great depth ont he subject.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I think that the XBR800 series (34,36,and 40) are the first TV's Sony has made that can do the squeeze automatically with progressive. The XBR450's and previous can NOT, from what I have read/seen. However it works fine on my 40XBR800 using both a Panasonic RP82 and a Malata N996 in progressive mode.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Quote:
Jeff You apolized to me in a PM, is this how good your *WORD* is, worthless?

I would like you to live up to your word *not* break like it was worth nothing, but a twig underneath your foot; to crush like I am the ant under your foot!

Cancel your post and I'll cancel mine, this time I will put you on a ignore list; I only talk to 'Honourable' Gentlemen.
Hob,

When did I ever give you my word I will not disagree with you?

You are the one comming into this thread and giving false info and misleading advise due to lack of knowledge of the product in question then removing your post to try and cover it up.

In regards to the PM and my suposed "WORD".

Here was my exact reply to your PM:
Quote:
Hob,

You were the one creating a new thread complaining that nobody was replying to your posts. So I just thought some replies were what you were looking for. Although I did get carried away.

I do apologize for the rude nature of my post's. That was a little un called for. However I just wanted to say that I do not agree with your posting techniques and the constant attacking and name calling of people who decide to purchase 4x3 tv's. You may find people being nice to you a lot more if you didn't call people foolish and totally turn the forum and every single thread a 4x3 tv is mentioned into a debate. Post your opinion without calling people names or personally attacking them. You are entitled to your opinion just as everyone else.

So again, I am sorry. I just wanted you to know I was fed up with your posting techniques.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hob wrote on 11-27-02 08:42 AM:

Why did you post so many wasn't one enogh for you? Are you going to do that to every poster that you don't like?

There is a ignore a person check list, why don't you put me on your list. That way you don't have to read your thinking I am wasting your valuable time. Last letter furthur contact with your attitude *would* be a waste of time for your swelled head!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I will not remove my post. You need to learn this lesson some time in your life. If I was an admin on this forum you would have been long gone quite some time ago for your personal and judgmental attacks on other members.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just wondering, if the television will use 16:9 enhancement mode when it detects a datastream from a DVD source, is there the SAME datastream for other sources, like SuperVCD, VCD, widescreen movies on cable, etc. so that the television will automatically go to 16:9 mode, or does one have to engage it manually in these cases? Thanx!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DuckMuck
Just wondering, if the television will use 16:9 enhancement mode when it detects a datastream from a DVD source, is there the SAME datastream for other sources, like SuperVCD, VCD, widescreen movies on cable, etc. so that the television will automatically go to 16:9 mode, or does one have to engage it manually in these cases? Thanx!
There's a certain flag that's sent along that tells the TV that it's an anamorphic DVD. Unless that flag is on a VCD or other source the TV won't switch to the enhanced mode.

·
Registered
512 Posts
i have the sony 36xbr400 and progressive signals will not trigger the anamorphic squeeze feature automatically. i had to create a macro on my pronto to do the switching for me, and all that basically does is go through the on screen menu and turn the feature on. it works fine with interlaced 1080i though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.