AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got HDTV cable (Comcast) and my 300u will no longer allow me to change the aspect ratio when watching TV over the component cables.

It AUTOMATICALLY senses (I guess) the proper aspect somehow (it's always been right so far) and the ASPECT BUTTON on the remote is non-functional. Normally, this is great ... I don't have to worry about it. BUT WHAT IF I WANT TO OVERRIDE THIS? IS THERE ANYWAY TO DO SO? Sometimes I might want to ZOOM a 4:3, for example.

Anyone else noticed this?

When looking at the input source in the menu it says something like: HDTV60 I believe. (I'll double-check.)

Thanks,

Tim

·
Registered
18 Posts
Tim,

I belive that I read in the 300 manual that if it senses HDTV you can't change the ratio. On another note how did you get HDTV through Comcast? I am stationed at Ft. Meade and I live in Millersville Comcast has repeatedly told me that they don't offer HDTV is this new?

Scott

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
(Ahh, Ft. Meade ... I used to pass that sign everyday on the commute to GSFC/NASA.)

Anyway, I know HD has been available in Harford (and probably Baltimore) county since last fall. They currently have the following channels in HD:

HBO

SHOWTIME

WMAR (2/ABC)

WBAL (11/NBC)

COMCAST SPORTSNET (ORIOLES IN HI-DEF!)

PBS, CBS, and DISCOVERY supposedly later this year.

Currently there is no extra charge, just need to be a Digital subscriber of course. (Which they just raised the rate on slightly.)

Double-check with them, and tell them Baltimore and Harford counties have had it since last fall, and you want to know when they're going to get with the program down there. You would think being smack-dab in the middle of two major US cities would make them get their butt in gear.

BEST OF LUCK!

-Tim

·
Registered
96 Posts
Have you read the manual for the cable box? Doesn't it have aspect ratio selections? Even my crappy Echostar HD sat box had 5-6 different aspects to choose from. The 300 locks into 16:9 with any HDTV signal so aspect selections need to come from the source.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gotcha! I didn't get a manual with the cable box. I wish they would leave that and the service menu manual. (Yeah, right.)

I assumed when I pass the signal through my Denon 3803 component switcher it will not strip this signal in any way, right? That's kind of a bummer ... one more remote (or remote codes, depending) to deal with now.

Thanks for the info!

-Tim

·
Registered
96 Posts
I pass the sat feed through my Pioneer 45 via component and it does nothing but switch the feed between the DVD plyr and Sat box, same for you with the Denon, I assume. If you have the box up and running start hittin' some buttons on the remote, if you can't change aspect with that box from the chair give it back to the cable company and go get an HD sat box.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's a SA 3100HD, and I checked SD' site and the 3100 does not support aspect switching ... yet! They say they are working on a fix, which I hope is a firmware upgradeable thing. Wish they were using the 8000HD with bulit-in PIP and VTR.

-Tim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.