AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When's it coming? That would be awesome to have auto calibration come on displays (and as common) like it does now with audio processors (Audyssey, YPAO, etc..) Instead of a mic it would be some type of lens.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I would be quite happy with just one selection on a TV that would give an accurate gray scale and accurate color without calibration. Since these things are digital, it should not be that hard.

·
Registered
8,383 Posts
D Nice wrote: 'calibration is part science part art.',the art part can't be done auto,for the science part you need expensive equipment (you also need years of experience),you're better off hireing a PROcalibrator.

Auto can do a quick and dirty calibration,you can do that yourself too.

I found a Hometheater review.com article Why don't today's HDTVs auto calibrate their picture? http://hometheaterreview.com/why-don...their-picture/

·
Registered
926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emig5m /forum/post/19569707

When's it coming? That would be awesome to have auto calibration come on displays (and as common) like it does now with audio processors (Audyssey, YPAO, etc..) Instead of a mic it would be some type of lens.

most likely to expensive and with the the room environment changing by the day and by the hour from daylight to night, cloudy to sunlight would mean a picture that's always needing to be auto calibrated. With sound the room environment stays pretty much constant.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13
D Nice wrote: 'calibration is part science part art.',the art part can't be done auto,for the science part you need expensive equipment (you also need years of experience),you're better off hireing a PROcalibrator.

Auto can do a quick and dirty calibration,you can do that yourself too.

I found a Hometheater review.com article Why don't today's HDTVs auto calibrate their picture? http://hometheaterreview.com/why-don...their-picture/
I think that is backwards logic. The "science" part should be clear cut and able to deliver a perfect setting for the basics (grayscale/color). The calibrators, like DNice have always stated the reason for calibration is because the displays that these companies make aren't standardized and have been set to look 'different' from their competition.

The 'art' part comes in when you have to tune the TV settings back to a normal standard when they are all out of whack and you can only achieve 'approximate' settings with tradeoffs on picture quality.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.