AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has written or seen a program which auto-calibrates a projector?

I was thinking of a program which would use, for example, a Colorfacts instrument, and communicate with the projector over rs232. Using rs232 commands in conjunction with the Colorfacts readings, it should be possible to calibrate to ~D65 over a range of IREs (if possible).

I was gonna sit down and write such a program, but figured I'd ask here first just in case any exist.

The projector in question is an older NEC VT540k, but I'd probably write the program in such a way that it should be easy enough to implement an interface and calibrate most projectors.

Any thoughts? Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Hi Jon,

You can write an automated projector calibration right inside ColorFacts! In fact, the application was built with that possibility in mind. One example is the automated calibration for Brillian microdisplays (you can see it here: http://www.milori.com/products/brillian ).

It's just a Macro inside ColorFacts (click on "Edit" and "Macros").

You will need the RS-232 communication to the projector, and will need to have a "game plan" for what to do with the correction numbers, but it's very doable.

In fact, you don't even need to know what hardware you are connected to. Just use the ".AutoDetect" and your calibration macro supports all of the hardware that ColorFacts can use.

Let us know if you are going to do this, as we can give you more details off-line.

Mark

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mark,

Thanks. I actually found that CF is scriptable while I was looking around for the API reference.

I do plan on doing this at some point in the near future. In fact, I bought a Sencore VP401 to do the pattern generation for me.

We'll talk at somepoint :D

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Hi Jon,

Perfect! The calibration can be end-to-end automated with a signal generator like the one you have. CF will drive the signal generator, which drives the display. At the same time, CF will measure the test patterns with your analyzer and will crunch the numbers to determine the Red, Green and Blue corrections.

All you will need to do to complete the loop (not that it's trivial, by any means) is to feed the corrections back into the display. For that, you are on your own. We usually plug something called a "human being" into that step in the process to complete the loop. :)

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
We usually plug something called a "human being" into that step in the process to complete the loop.
Yes, I've had these things before. They are error prone, and fail often.

I'm excited about replacing myself. I must be a software engineer...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.