AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My MCE 2005 box runs fast and nicely in 480p. I have an ATI Radeon 9800 PRO running at 856x480p (Widescreen EDTV) resolution.

For most applications this resolution is perfect:

1. Desktop looks nice, text is readable

2. DVD's play nicely in 480p (DVD res)

3. SDTV also plays and looks nice

4. MCE runs nice and fast without choking ever.

I only have 2 problems with running at 856x480p

1. watching HDTV using HDTV card, doesn't obviously display in 1080i

2. viewing certain settings (such as Catalyst Control Panel), the bottom of the size of the screen cuts off the bottom of the window so there's no way to click "OK" and save settings.

For HDTV, I switch to 1920x1080i and for changing desktop settings, I switch to 1156x720p (720p Enhanced).

My question is: Does anyone out there change resolutions regularly with their MCE box? And if so what strategies do you use to chage?

I have tried:

a. Desktop Shortcuts

b. Shortcuts within More Programs

c. HotKeys

All these solutions require closing and restarting MCE to run it in the new resolution.

Perhaps the new version would let MCE change display resolutions on the fly without restarting MCE. Is this possible with DirectX?

Or perhaps there's an easy way to have a More Programs plugin that closes eshell, changes the resolution, and reopens eshell all in one action.

Anyone else need this functionality?

Thanks!

Jason

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I agree it would be nice to have this functionality integrated into MCE. But I can already come pretty close with the latest nVidia GeForce drivers, which allow to setup different display resolutions, assign them to hotkeys, and easily switch between them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.