AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Epson Home Cinema 3100 that has worked great for around 2 years now. The other day when I tried to turn it on an error appeared saying there is a problem with the auto iris and to contact my local Epson repair shop. I took the projector apart thinking the auto iris was mechanical and that I could realign the gears and fix the problem, but it turned out that the mechanism is a motor with a kind of ball screw actuator. I don't know much about how motors like that worked, but from what I could tell everything looked fine. I was able to buy a replacement motor and wire assembly thinking that would fix the problem. Unfortunately the error persists with the new auto iris.

Apparently this is a somewhat common problem for this projector, but up to this point I have not been able to find anything about how to fix it or what even causes the problem. Could anyone help by even explaining to me how the auto iris is supposed to work or why it would cause this error? If anyone has had a similar issue and fixed it I would love to try and fix this projector instead of replacing the whole thing or paying the equivalent to a repair shop.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have an Epson Home Cinema 3100 that has worked great for around 2 years now. The other day when I tried to turn it on an error appeared saying there is a problem with the auto iris and to contact my local Epson repair shop. I took the projector apart thinking the auto iris was mechanical and that I could realign the gears and fix the problem, but it turned out that the mechanism is a motor with a kind of ball screw actuator. I don't know much about how motors like that worked, but from what I could tell everything looked fine. I was able to buy a replacement motor and wire assembly thinking that would fix the problem. Unfortunately the error persists with the new auto iris.

Apparently this is a somewhat common problem for this projector, but up to this point I have not been able to find anything about how to fix it or what even causes the problem. Could anyone help by even explaining to me how the auto iris is supposed to work or why it would cause this error? If anyone has had a similar issue and fixed it I would love to try and fix this projector instead of replacing the whole thing or paying the equivalent to a repair shop.
Own a HC 3000, basically a same model as 3100. Got the 'auto iris error' this week. Will be taking it apart this weekend to check if anything obviously broken. Your description what AI looks like will be helpful. Searched online but could not find any resource on how to fix it. will check motor as you did. If this does't help, my plan is to call Epson customer support. Will try to see if they offer a trade-in allowance for one of their refurbs, unlikely but what I got to loose. Option two is to sell as-is for parts. Loved this projector, lasted probably 15000 hrs+ as I used is as TV.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I too use it as a main TV and it had many hours of use. I believe that is most likely why this error has shown itself. There must be some way to fix it though.

Let me know how taking it apart goes! My auto iris system has its own small motherboard that I have also now looked at. I was not sure what I was looking for, but it looked fine. The main motherboard that the auto iris connects to is far to complicated for me personally to do any kind of real diagnosis on.

This is my favorite projector I have owned and would love it to run again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts