AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed my new Denon 1910 and so far so good. One niggle I have though is I was expecting the HDMI inputs to the amp to auto switch as the various devices were powered on - and they don't. I just expected the same behaviour as I assume happens with a HDMI switch box. Am I wrong to think this or have I just not completed the setup correctly. I have all 4 HDMI inputs cabled to devices and the HDMI output going directly to the TV.

·
Registered
13,634 Posts
The auto-switching on certain HDMI switchers are just hacks. They don't work 100% of the time. No receivers I know of support such kind of auto-switch hacks. But most newer ones (HDMI 1.3) support HDMI CEC control to auto power on and auto switch inputs. However, HDMI CEC control protocols are manufacturer specific, you will need pretty much all devices from the same maker to work. Since Denon doesn't have its own TV, it will probably support different CEC protocols like Onkyo does. Check your manual to see what CEC protocol it supprots, e.g. Pansonic's Viera Link, Samsung's AnyNet etc.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schott /forum/post/16934686

Just installed my new Denon 1910 and so far so good. One niggle I have though is I was expecting the HDMI inputs to the amp to auto switch as the various devices were powered on - and they don't. I just expected the same behaviour as I assume happens with a HDMI switch box. Am I wrong to think this or have I just not completed the setup correctly. I have all 4 HDMI inputs cabled to devices and the HDMI output going directly to the TV.

I think you don't have it set-up properly. You will have to assign the inputs in the set-up to the correct source for this to work. The easiest way to do what you really want is to get a Harmony remote to do the switching for you or set up macros in your 1910 remote if its able to do that. Even with this though you still have to assign the correct input and source in order for the AVR to work properly. Good luck and hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CEC Protocols - The Denon manual is a bit sketcy about this and all that the manufacturer's website says is "HDMI CEC compatible" - so not too sure.

Regarding the remote control, just to clarify, I am able to switch between HDMI inputs using the Source Select ok but I was hoping that the receiver would be capable of auto switching between inputs as the devices were powered on. Maybe my expectations were misplaced.

It is just the thought of having to tell my dear wife there is yet another new remote control for her to grow to hate that it would have been nice for her to have had minimal contact with it - though she is a wizz with the volume control.

·
Registered
13,634 Posts
Get a Harmony remote (and throw away all your existing ones away) and your wife will be happy. Getting HDMI CEC control to work will cost you money (for getting everything from the same maker).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts