AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the new house is getting close, sheet rock is getting hung this week. So can start to try and think about a projector.

The room is 15'x22'x9'-6". I am thinking a screen somewhere in the 120" (@2.35) area

My plan is to actually have a 16:9 screen that is fixed on top and will have movable masking on the sides and bottom. This way I can adjust screen size for any format and size I would like.

I guess the real question is if the Panny 3000 is the only projector out their that has the auto zoom, pan, crop kind of stuff with memory for different formats. If it is the only one that kind of narrows my option alot. Or is their anything coming out in the near future, I am thinking I would like to get something by November or so so I can build the rest of the room around it.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I think that is what I am looking for. I don't want to get into any anamorphoscopic lens for trying to do constant hieght. I want to beable to show anything from 4:3 and up using as much of the screen as possible.

Basically 1.77,1.85, and 2.35 would all be the same width and I would raise the bottom masking for 1.85 and 2.35. 1.33 would be full height and I would bring in side masking.

So my actuall screen would be a 126" diagnal 1.77 ratio, this uses up all of the possible width I have. That gives me a 120" screen when watching 2.35 material. If I decided the that is just too big for 1.77 shows I can make the picture smaller and bring in the masking. I want to have alot of flexability to do different things. Hope that sounds like something that is possible.

·
Registered
23,131 Posts
What you describe there is what's usually called "Constant Image Width" here. It's not entirely accurate since 4:3 isnt' the same width.

Regardless, you don't need anything special, no fancy zooming or anything for that. That's the normal operation of every 16:9 projector out there, 16:9 is always projected, 4:3 and other

Any 16:9 projector will do what you describe. You only need zooming or a lens when you start wanting/trying to have a screen that's different (usually wider) than the native ratio of your projector, eg if you were using a 2:1 screen for constant area, or 2.35:1 or wider for CIH.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 /forum/post/16981713

What you describe there is what's usually called "Constant Image Width" here. It's not entirely accurate since 4:3 isnt' the same width.

Regardless, you don't need anything special, no fancy zooming or anything for that. That's the normal operation of every 16:9 projector out there, 16:9 is always projected, 4:3 and other

Any 16:9 projector will do what you describe. You only need zooming or a lens when you start wanting/trying to have a screen that's different (usually wider) than the native ratio of your projector, eg if you were using a 2:1 screen for constant area, or 2.35:1 or wider for CIH.

Yea why didn't I think of that, makes sence now that I think about it. Now I have way too many choices for a projector

The only wrinkle I can think of is that I was only planing on movable masking on the bottom of the screen. If I understand correct the Panny 3000 would alow me to shift a 2.35 image up so the upper black bar would be on the permanent top masking and I would move the bottom mask up to cover the bottom black bar. With a normal 16:9 projector I would have to have movable masking top and bottom to cover the bars.

·
Registered
7,567 Posts
Also keep in mind, many PJs (well not too many DLPs) have a zoomable lens, and a lot of those are also remote operated/powered. The unique feature of the Panny is that it will memorize 3 different settings so that you can just press a button and it will adjust the image to that saved setup. You can still accomplish the same thing from the remote with a number of other PJs. You just need to adjust the zoom and focus yourself each time you want to switch back and forth.

-Suntan

·
Registered
686 Posts
Mopar, your setup sounds very similar to mine (16x20' room, Yamaha V1400, B&W speakers). Now all I have to do is upgrade the projector, add a subwoofer, and work on the acoustics a bit.

I've been planning to upgrade to the AE3000 for a while, mainly for the lens memory feature. I decided to wait until CEDIA next month to see what its successor looks like. Hopefully it will have discrete codes for lens memory so my wife can simply push one button on the Harmony remote. The AE3000 requires pressing a button, waiting for zoom to complete, then pressing another button to exit the menu. Not a big deal, but presumably there will also be performance improvements with the new model.

Also other manufacturers, seeing the success of the AE3000, may add a lens memory feature.

My screen is 131" diagonal, 2.37 aspect, and I suggest you also consider a CIH (constant image height) setup.

There's tons of information on it here on AVS, but one reason I like CIH is it doesn't require masking. I built a big screen so: a) 16:9 content would be without compromise, and b) zooming would make 2.35 films truly spectacular, completely filling a very wide screen.

That's what's so great about CIH: widescreen movies are bigger and wider than 16:9. With a CIW screen, 2.35 movies are simply cropped smaller, the opposite of spectacular.

Why no need for masking with CIH? Because when watching 16:9 content with black pillars on either side, the pillars are truly black in a dark room: no light from the projector hits the screen there. Contrast that (pun intended) with the black bars at the top/bottom of a cropped screen: that area is illuminated by the projector, so the bars are only as black as the contrast ratio of the projector. In dark scenes, they'll appear gray, so masking is desirable.

With CIH, those top/bottom bars are already masked by the screen. So 16:9 content gives me a great picture with no gray pillars, and 2.35 fills the screen with fully-masked goodness.

My other bit of advice would be to thoroughly experiment with the projector before purchasing a screen. I found I wanted a much larger screen than I originally expected.

Good luck with your build!

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Whitefield /forum/post/16984094

Mopar, your setup sounds very similar to mine (16x20' room, Yamaha V1400, B&W speakers). Now all I have to do is upgrade the projector, add a subwoofer, and work on the acoustics a bit.

I've been planning to upgrade to the AE3000 for a while, mainly for the lens memory feature. I decided to wait until CEDIA next month to see what its successor looks like. Hopefully it will have discrete codes for lens memory so my wife can simply push one button on the Harmony remote. The AE3000 requires pressing a button, waiting for zoom to complete, then pressing another button to exit the menu. Not a big deal, but presumably there will also be performance improvements with the new model.

Also other manufacturers, seeing the success of the AE3000, may add a lens memory feature.

My screen is 131" diagonal, 2.37 aspect, and I suggest you also consider a CIH (constant image height) setup.

There's tons of information on it here on AVS, but one reason I like CIH is it doesn't require masking. I built a big screen so: a) 16:9 content would be without compromise, and b) zooming would make 2.35 films truly spectacular, completely filling a very wide screen.

That's what's so great about CIH: widescreen movies are bigger and wider than 16:9. With a CIW screen, 2.35 movies are simply cropped smaller, the opposite of spectacular.

Why no need for masking with CIH? Because when watching 16:9 content with black pillars on either side, the pillars are truly black in a dark room: no light from the projector hits the screen there. Contrast that (pun intended) with the black bars at the top/bottom of a cropped screen: that area is illuminated by the projector, so the bars are only as black as the contrast ratio of the projector. In dark scenes, they'll appear gray, so masking is desirable.

With CIH, those top/bottom bars are already masked by the screen. So 16:9 content gives me a great picture with no gray pillars, and 2.35 fills the screen with fully-masked goodness.

My other bit of advice would be to thoroughly experiment with the projector before purchasing a screen. I found I wanted a much larger screen than I originally expected.

Good luck with your build!

Thanks for the great info. The discrete remote code would be a big a deal, I also use a Harmony and was thinking of push one button to adjust the lense and masking.

I have looked at the CIH and for some reason I think I would like my 16:9 material to be taller, more of a Constant Area. I am just afraid that 16:9 material is going to look to small for the big room. But I want to get the projector before I do anything in the room so I can set it up and display different sizes on the screen which may change my thinking. We will wait and see what CEDIA brings, I hope lots of good things.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts