AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I think one of the most tedious things I have to do when watching TV is selecting the "wide" mode or "full" mode on my Pioneer plasma, depending on whether I'm watching HD or standard def.

Has any manufacturer came out with a display that automatically detects the source and adjusts the ratio, accordingly?? Perhaps I'm asking for too much, but this seems like it would be a really slick thing to add to a display, and it seems like it shouldn't be overly complicated!

John from Boston

·
Premium Member
18,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma869 /forum/post/14346989

Hey all. I think one of the most tedious things I have to do when watching TV is selecting the "wide" mode or "full" mode on my Pioneer plasma, depending on whether I'm watching HD or standard def.

Has any manufacturer came out with a display that automatically detects the source and adjusts the ratio, accordingly?? Perhaps I'm asking for too much, but this seems like it would be a really slick thing to add to a display, and it seems like it shouldn't be overly complicated!

Philips plasmas are the only ones that have an Automatic Aspect Ratio feature AFAIK. It can be a pain in the butt during big network primetime HD viewing because when the commercials appear the TV takes a few seconds to automatically zoom to hide the black bars, then when the HD show resumes it takes a second or two for the TV to self adjust back into FULL mode.

Now that widescreen TVs have become the norm, the Aspect key is here to stay so you may as well embrace it

·
Registered
195 Posts

Quote:

John from Boston

The 9G Pioneers do.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
My elderly father recently got a 32" philips lcd that has this feature and it's great for someone who doesn't want to mess with aspect ratios. Of course that's about the only good thing I can say about the set.

·
Registered
459 Posts
2009 LGs have this ability too; they call it "Set By Program."

If you don't mind watching 4:3 content with pillars, this may be the way to go for you, just be careful not to overdue it.

Personally, I just programed in a couple of aspect buttons into my remote so I can quickly choose the aspect I want based on content.

For example, that super evil History Channel HD logo, I zoom out of existence if I simply have to watch their content. Which I did yesterday because it was about cool Batman stuff....so I was helpless

·
Registered
195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwr1776 /forum/post/14347850

For example, that super evil History Channel HD logo, I zoom out of existence if I simply have to watch their content. Which I did yesterday because it was about cool Batman stuff....so I was helpless

I've noticed that they've all more or less joined the axis of evil. When cheating on my break-in, I noticed logos on pretty much every hd cable channel, including TNT, USA, ScIFi, Universal HD, and Food Network. Bastards make me pay for the channel, still force commercials on me, and subject me to the risk of image retention. My channel surfing during the period would have made anyone dizzy.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts

Quote:

John from Boston

Yes the 9G you own does that very thing, all you have to do is set aspect ratio to auto.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts

Quote:

John from Boston

My 8G Pio automatically detects the black bars and stretches the picture. When HD content is displayed it displays it correctly. Like you with my prior display I hated grabbing for the remote and toggling between various display modes. The Pio feature I have now has freed me from that annoyance. If one doesn't like stretched images for SD content this may not be to their liking. I prerfer a full screen of video and will trade the stretched SD for the great HD.

·
Registered
93 Posts

Quote:

John from Boston

My 9G pioneer and my Pany 600u both auto adjust screen size.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdp203 /forum/post/14351234

Most newer panels do, sounds like the O.P. never bothered to read the owners manual.

·
Registered
459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shasta /forum/post/14352522

Most newer panels do, sounds like the O.P. never bothered to read the owners manual.

Holy Crap...you mean these things come with manuals?

I bet that's what was in the zip lock bag I didn't open...

·
Premium Member
18,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdp203 /forum/post/14351234

I was unaware that the Pioneers had an Auto-Aspect function like the Philips (i can't remember seeing it mentioned in the various Kuro threads LOL), but i'm virtually positive that the Panasonic PX600U does not have this particular function. Neither of my Pannys have this, nor does any of their other Consumer models as far as i know. I think their Industrial models have an Auto mode though.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
started with 8G...my 6070 does not but as mentioned above 8G do (even non-elites)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/14355232

I was unaware that the Pioneers had an Auto-Aspect function like the Philips (i can't remember seeing it mentioned in the various Kuro threads LOL), .......

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgkja /forum/post/14355666

started with 8G...my 6070 does not but as mentioned above 8G do (even non-elites)

I'll vouch for this...my Pioneer 5010 does indeed have auto-aspect.

·
Premium Member
18,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgkja /forum/post/14355666

That explains my ignorance - the only Pioneer menus that i'm familiar with is on my friend's 5070 from about a year ago and another friend's 5060 before that and neither had any sort of Auto Aspect in the menus. I've briefly played with the menus on the 4280 and 5080 at BB and Magnolia but only fiddled with the picture settings and never noticed the new Auto Aspect thing. It's funny that i've not seen it mentioned in the Kuro threads, or maybe i just missed it

·
Premium Member
18,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shasta /forum/post/14352522

Besides the new Kuros and the Philips, what other brands have this Auto Aspect function? Do the Samsungs have it? Panasonic consumer models don't (probably because they are very IR-resitant and don't need it). I wonder if the Toshibas and Hitachis have it? Someone said LG has it which would make sense as they're affiliated with Philips.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
i think there are only a couple posts on this-- the forum has so much important stuff about real issues and pq so it is very easy to miss this

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/14357657

That explains my ignorance - the only Pioneer menus that i'm familiar with is on my friend's 5070 from about a year ago and another friend's 5060 before that and neither had any sort of Auto Aspect in the menus. I've briefly played with the menus on the 4280 and 5080 at BB and Magnolia but only fiddled with the picture settings and never noticed the new Auto Aspect thing. It's funny that i've not seen it mentioned in the Kuro threads, or maybe i just missed it

·
Registered
1,183 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/14357686

Besides the new Kuros and the Philips, what other brands have this Auto Aspect function? Do the Samsungs have it? Panasonic consumer models don't (probably because they are very IR-resitant and don't need it). I wonder if the Toshibas and Hitachis have it? Someone said LG has it which would make sense as they're affiliated with Philips.

I know the LG's have it and rember someone saying that the newer Samsungs have it also. Funny you would've thought that most would have had this feature years ago.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts