AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Windows PC, 65" LG CX, Yamaha HS-8 speakers, TASCAM US-4x4 audio interface
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heya there, thought I'd post this on a forum where someone might have tried to find a similar thing.

I've been using OLED TVs for some years now, and while true burn-in/burn-out of pixels hasn't really been an issue, I would still like the ability to at least theoretically wear the pixels more or less equally.

With that in mind I've been trying to search for some method, be it player software with filter, an external program, whatever, that would automatically do that letterbox/black bar filling that many people use for vertical videos on YouTube. That is, take the video on the screen, add a copy of it in the background, enlarge it until it fills the black bars, and add blur.

Has anyone ever seen this sort of thing available anywhere?

FWIW I'm considering this primarily for more "light weight" watching, like old documentaries and TV series, filmed in 4:3. Not going to start filling out the letterboxing and ruin the visual design of a proper movie.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
I believe what you're referring to is called pillaring. Letterboxing generally means the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen that occur when the content has an aspect ratio greater than 16:9. It amounts to the same thing, but the black bars are vertical instead of horizontal. However, your premise applies either way.

I would be more concerned if the black bars were white instead. The pixels should not be affected when the screen is black. I own an LG OLED set and it has a feature that refreshes the pixels to prevent the very thing you're concerned about.

·
Registered
Windows PC, 65" LG CX, Yamaha HS-8 speakers, TASCAM US-4x4 audio interface
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe what you're referring to is called pillaring. Letterboxing generally means the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen that occur when the content has an aspect ratio greater than 16:9. It amounts to the same thing, but the black bars are vertical instead of horizontal. However, your premise applies either way.

I would be more concerned if the black bars were white instead. The pixels should not be affected when the screen is black. I own an LG OLED set and it has a feature that refreshes the pixels to prevent the very thing you're concerned about.
I remembered there was SOME word for the 4:3 version, but forgot it, thanks. =)

There is some "effect" when parts of the screen are black, though it's kind of inverse. All of the OLEDs that make up the panel have a finite lifespan, so the ones that get used more burn out faster than the ones that aren't used. With letterboxed or pillared footage this means that the center section (be it vertically or horizontally defined) wears quicker than the edges. The pixel refreshers etc. in OLED TVs (I've had a B7 for years and just got a CX a few days ago) can help mitigate this, but the ideal situation is that you wear the whole panel evenly. So full coverage with as little static content as possible is the optimum scenario.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts