AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of a good way to get Windows to automatically startup from hybernation or a complete shutdown? How about a good automatic shutdown/hybernation.

I'd like to get my PC to turn on and shutdown at scheduled times.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
In the MainLobby world, the MainLobby server can start remote PCs (like the HTPC's) on a time schedule, or when needed or on event. An event could be "someone is walking into the theater...turn the screensaver off..."

This is done via the "MLWMI" software plugin that can send a Wake on Lan packet to the remote PC.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't hav MainLobby and all of my PC's on the LAN are also shutdown to save power when I'm not using them. That means I can't rely on another PC to send a remote wakeup command over the LAN. I need a method that can work on the local PC.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Have you checked your BIOS options? Some allow scheduled power on/off. Other than that, I think the only way to do it is WOL, which would require at least one PC to be powered up to execute the WOL command.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
You could set the bios to "Startup on Power resume". then, you could use a appliance switch to turn on the power to the PC whenever you want to start it up. Shutdown should be a software based gracefull shotdown, followed with an electrical turn off. Not elegent, probably won't be a great solution, but it might work.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was able to use the BIOS RTC alarm option to start the PC from a complete shutdown at a scheduled time and schedule shutdown.exe to run using Windows Sheduled Tasks. I think that will get be me the behavior I was looking for. Thanks for the suggestions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.