AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You can automatically turn ReplayTV recordings into videos that you can playback on your Apple iPhone, iPod, or Sony PSP.

The process can be made as simple as this:

Step 1: Select program to be recorded on your ReplayTV

Step 2: Sync your iPhone/iPod with iTunes.

The amount of time between the two steps depends on several factors, but it's possible to automate the entire process down to these two steps using the RTV2RSS script and FFMPEG, which are both contained in the Zip file which can be downloaded from the link below.

You'll need to have DVArchive installed, and you'll also need web server software. Instructions for downloading and configuring Apache web server are included in the README file.

http://www.filedropper.com/rtv2rss40

Happy New Year!

RF

·
Registered
21 Posts
That's a clever idea.

Thanks for all the work.

The resolution of the replay tv video works well with mobile devices.

If I understand it, your iPod subscribes to a RSS feed, through iTunes, on a server running on your own computer.

I'll have to study all that old timey .bat stuff.

I didn't know you could do this:

rem * Create Podcast/RSS Channel item *

My problem is--I use a Mac. The good news is it has a built-in apache server. The bad news is ffmpeg I've been able to find only seems to be for PPC Tiger. And the scripts need to be converted to ruby or python.

But terrific idea. Thanks.

·
Registered
371 Posts
RF,

Cool. I've been looking for something easy for downloading RTV content to my son's Nano.

Do you have any free and easy ideas for ripping DVDs to the Nano? It needs to run on Vista.

Thanks,

A

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Do you have any free and easy ideas for ripping DVDs to the Nano? It needs to run on Vista.

There are a number of DVD ripping programs, DVD Decryptor and Handbrake come to mind. Google "DVD ripping" for others. A good source of info is http://www.doom9.org/

Once you ripped the movie, drag and drop the decrypted MPEG-2 file onto the RTV2RSS script and it will do the rest for you.

RF

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
If I understand it, your iPod subscribes to a RSS feed, through iTunes, on a server running on your own computer.

Yes.

Quote:
My problem is--I use a Mac. The good news is it has a built-in apache server. The bad news is ffmpeg I've been able to find only seems to be for PPC Tiger. And the scripts need to be converted to ruby or python.

I figured most people here would be using some version of Windows and batch scripts will run on all of them. You should be able to get the source code to FFMPEG and compile it for MacOS. I've run into some versions of FFMPEG that don't support all the options I use in the script, which is why I included a Win32 FFMPEG executable that I know works.

Parallels or Fusion are options for Mac users who don't like to roll their own solutions.

RF

·
Registered
428 Posts
Does anyone know where I can get a copy of this? The link to filedropper doesn't seem to work anymore and a google search turned up no other references to it.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's been a long time since I've lurked around in here. Guess it was a good thing I dropped by. I've uploaded the file again to FileDroppper, so you can now click on the link to download the file again.

Everyone in my family is still using my 5504 and 5040 everyday to record and watch cable TV programs. The only thing I've found that might replace them is my new Roku/Netflix receiver. My wife enjoys watching the endless reruns of L&O, which I used to record on my RTVs so she could skip the commercials. Now she watches them commercial free via Roku/Netflix.

I'll probably keep both my RTVs going as long as TW keeps analog cable. If TW were to pull the plug on analog cable, though, I'd seriously consider pulling the plug on my cable subscription completely.

Remember the few ways we could watch video programming at home when ReplayTV first came out:

Analog OTA TV

Analog cable TV

Home VHS recordings

Blockbuster VHS rentals

DVD was still in it's infancy as was DirectTV.

Today, though, we have a lot more ways to get video into our homes:

New OTA HDTV channels

Digital cable/satellite

Redbox

Roku

Netflix

Amazon

Hulu

Boxee

Apple TV/iTunes

PS/3 Blu-Ray

PS/3 Video Store

Xbox Live

And that's just some of the legal ways that I could think of.......

Everyone can now watch commerical free TV programs delivered over Internet. Cable and satellite TV is just now getting around to offering multi-room viewing of shows recorded on it's settop devices.

It's interesting in hindsight to see just how far ahead of it's time ReplayTV really was.

RF

·
Registered
428 Posts
Clicking on the link doesn't seem to work for me. It takes me to the sign-in/sign-up page, and then I click on Files link, then R for this file, but then I can't find RTV2RSS40. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by replaybob /forum/post/15429969

That's a clever idea.

Thanks for all the work.

The resolution of the replay tv video works well with mobile devices.

I'll have to study all that old timey .bat stuff.

I didn't know you could do this:

rem * Create Podcast/RSS Channel item *

But terrific idea. Thanks.

I use some software called "Replay2Go" which will convert DVArchive replay shows to iPod format. it is Mac only and I think I got it from a link on the DVArchive site.

·
Registered
428 Posts
PLEASE ... Can someone help me find a copy of this solution? Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong with Filedropper? I have tried some other solutions, but I have a 100% failure rate so far. I've also tried to PM RFontenot, but no response so far.

PLEASE.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Anyone have any recommendations where I can host this file? Filedropper was easy for me, but they only keep the link active if enough people access it. Unfortunately, there isn't enough traffic for this download to keep it from being dropped so I have to periodically upload it again and again.

RF

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
You could contact Bigjohn on this forum as he hosts several of the RTV websites. You also could check out ReplayTVUpgrade.com (nded) to see if they could add it to their downloads directory. And, you can check out wirns.com (rbolen70) which also has an extras directory where he puts things like VLC. Finally, you could consider posting it on SourceForge.net where it could have a home...

Henry

·
Registered
21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFontenot /forum/post/17145083

Today, though, we have a lot more ways to get video into our homes:

New OTA HDTV channels

Digital cable/satellite

Redbox

Roku

Netflix

Amazon

Hulu

Boxee

Apple TV/iTunes

PS/3 Blu-Ray

PS/3 Video Store

Xbox Live

RF

Almost too many choices! A show aggregator is almost needed for all the sources.

I found the Australian tv show Sea Patrol on Hulu.

I've watched the first season and would like an app on my mac to search out new shows (on whatever feed they show up) and queue them.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Please, RF, post the file here, send it to us, something. I've tried several other utilities and still no luck with RTV to phone.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.