AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the back of my RCA UTV there are AUX inputs for video. S-video and RCA type. So I hooked up my DVD player to the S-video on the UTV. But I cant figure out how to access the video. Any ideas? This is my second UTV box. My first one chewed up 3 access cards in 10 days. Hope this one is better. I'm really glad I found this place.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
The Aux inputs were included for use with the WebTV side of your UTV. You can't use them to input a video stream to your UTV or even as a passthrough to your TV. They are useless, pretend that they aren't even there.

·
Registered
7,015 Posts
adding those jacks was about as smart as asking folks to pay extra to make the box record..some people need to get out of their cubicle more often...

·
Registered
94 Posts
I especially like how they add jacks to the front AND back of the units -- really makes you scratch your head, doesn't it?

This was the first-and-only service call I made about UTV (before I found this site), and the most aggravating. NOBODY knew what they were for -- spent about three hours on the phone.

They're for recording sound and still pictures for attaching to E-Mails (Actually, I wonder if this even works!).

I'm still holding out the hope that they'll eventually at LEAST turn these on as "pass-thru" inputs, if nothing else (I understand that there's no compression hardware in the unit, so recording from these inputs won't work).

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Puglas
I'm still holding out the hope that they'll eventually at LEAST turn these on as "pass-thru" inputs, if nothing else (I understand that there's no compression hardware in the unit, so recording from these inputs won't work).
Cannot be done. There is no path from those inputs to the video output.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Puglas
I especially like how they add jacks to the front AND back of the units -- really makes you scratch your head, doesn't it?

This was the first-and-only service call I made about UTV (before I found this site), and the most aggravating. NOBODY knew what they were for -- spent about three hours on the phone.

They're for recording sound and still pictures for attaching to E-Mails (Actually, I wonder if this even works!).

They did the same thing with front inputs on the DP. While I was subscribed to MSN TV, I tried it. It did work, but poor quality due to being from VCR tape. I think there were also plans to add a video capture camera. But without broadband access, I find the service too slow in general to use. But the image capture was ok. The DP also lets you paste a still image from a PVR recording, which is much better quality than the VCR image, obviously.

As far as using the A/V jacks for anything else, if it could have been done, someone would have shouted it from the roof tops by now. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.