AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Well, it depends upon how you look at it...

First, do you want to look at a pretty advertisement or do you want to actually do something with the board? If it is the latter then you have no real choice, the only shipping cards at the moment are the family of cards from Asus.

Second, do you want to pay through the nose or are you looking for a reasonably priced solution? If it is the latter then again you are going to want to go with the Asus solutions which begin at about $150 complete - you mentioned only HDMI so the Asus Slim card will do fine if you have a PCI slot. For reference it looks like you are going to have to pay a total of $300 or more for a complete solution from Auzen. Assuming, of course, it ever ships...

Third, do you want a crapware software player or a good software player? Again, if you want a good software player then go with the ASUS which includes TMT vs. the Auzen which requires you to pony up more money for the PDVD crapware they use.

Finally, do you care about EAX support for gaming and are willing to pay a significant premium for it? If so then you will need to consider the Auzen vaporware card and hope they eventually ship the thing before Jesus comes... and you will no doubt wait a very long time before that dude shows up!

So the deal is pretty simple. Asus has a shipping card with a proven albeit imperfect record and in several flavors which all include TMT and have reasonable prices. Auzen has yet to ship a card which has no track record and comes with crapware at a very high price.

For me it is a no-brainer...

Edit: If you are only going to use HDMI then you do not need the Asus Deluxe card. You can use either the standard card or the Slim depending upon what your open slots are.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Another thing for the Asus (though the Auzen will probably support it to) is it supports DD live. This is a plus if you're a gamer, as all your games that support rear/center speakers will be converted into DD for your receiver, whereas normally you'd get basic 2.1 PCM audio.

·
Registered
339 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalyst /forum/post/18349479

sorry for the necropost....

so is this still the case or is the gap much close now?

Are you looking to send audio via seperate analog connections? If not, any card in the ATI 5XXX series can bitstream audio over HDMI while also doing double duty as a videocard.

Still not quite as stable as the Xonar (yet) but a single card solution and no extra cables = good option.

·
Registered
669 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_kano /forum/post/18349721

Are you looking to send audio via seperate analog connections? If not, any card in the ATI 5XXX series can bitstream audio over HDMI while also doing double duty as a videocard.

No I'm not interested in bit-streaming or sending multi-pcm to an AVR etc. at this stage...

I mainly want something that's PAP compliant for local analogue-out* and that has DD/DTS decode for s/pdif-in.

I've read some literature that suggests the latter may be possible, but it's not entirely clear.

Quote:
Still not quite as stable as the Xonar (yet) but a single card solution and no extra cables = good option.

Yeah def. like that aspect; if it's mostly equal to HDAV now I'd prefer it as a PAP solution for local analogue-out.

Especially if it has s/pdif-in; the hw decode of game audio is just a bonus...

*Ideally the actual DAC could be handled by my better analogue-out card.

But I suspect that'd break PAP and wouldn't be do-able....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts