AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have an auzentech x-fi prelude which i connect to my receiver via S/PDIF, encoding to DTS.

In a couple of months I will have one of the new ati 6000 series cards.

Basically I would like to know what are the positives/negatives of going S/PDIF with my sound card vs going HDMI with the ati video card.

From what I found the HDMI can support higher quality audio and lossless 5.1?

I plan to use the video card HDMI unless there is a reason I should not, would I be able to play everything with the HDMI? music, games, movies, youtube etc?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont care about games too much, as long as they all play audio without issues.

EAX seems pretty much dead these days anyways.

I listen to music most of the time I am on my computer, and I watch movies/tv shows.

Games aren't of a high priority for me.

As long as everything works with the ATI and HDMI I will be happy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I used to have the auzentech x-fi prelude in my HTPC and ran analog audio out to the receiver (not SPDIF). Then I upgraded to a motherboard with onboard nvidia 9300 where I could pass LPCM over HDMI. I've since upgraded to an ATI HD5450 which bitstreams audio to the reciever.

So you could expect me to give an objective comparison between all these methods - SPDIF, analog out, LPCM over HDMI, and HDMI bitstream. Truth is, there's not much to tell them apart unless you have a reasonably high-end set-up and you're watching high-def movies with DTS-HD or True-HD.

I chose HDMI because it meant fewer cables, but you have the luxury of testing for yourself once you have an ATI 6000 fitted.

IMHO, pros and cons of using ATI 6000 for all video and audio needs:

+ You can bitstream to your receiver, and take advantage of WASAPI pass-through.

- The Catalyst drivers are a lottery with bugs being fixed and re-appearing next update!

...and using the Auzentech Prelude for audio:

+ You're still able to use EAX and other gaming audio processing.

- It's kind of redundant if you're just wanting to pass audio to a receiver, when your graphics card does the same.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmm ok

the only plus i really see of using the video card is that i can sell my sound card and make a quick buck off of that. i will just test both of them out for a while and see what i like, even though i probably won't notice a difference.

thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
apparently ubuntu does not like my auzentech card's digital output, yet it detects my 4850X2's HDMI digital out

this is a let down but it means that the 6970's HDMI out is what I will be using.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.