AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i'm working on my new house wireing. (lots to do), but I was wondering if any of you have done any tablets in wall?

I'm trying to decide how to wire/power them if I put them in the wall? I was considering using Android tablets in a couple locations to control the zones.

Anyone have examples or ideas?

Thanks,

Shane

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Don't know about Android tabs, but VidaBox offers 2 iPad power extenders over category cable. The more expensive one is for multiple iPads with a long range, the more affordable single iPad option has a more limited distance (60-70 feet, iirc).

I'd put a standard outlet near the floor for possible future addition of a recessed outlet at eye level (behind the wall-mount tablet). And, I'd run category cable and 18/2 to the tablet position (both cables buried behind drywall until you're ready to install).

·
Registered
360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad /forum/post/0

Don't know about Android tabs, but VidaBox offers 2 iPad power extenders over category cable. The more expensive one is for multiple iPads with a long range, the more affordable single iPad option has a more limited distance (60-70 feet, iirc).

I'd put a standard outlet near the floor for possible future addition of a recessed outlet at eye level (behind the wall-mount tablet). And, I'd run category cable and 18/2 to the tablet position (both cables buried behind drywall until you're ready to install).

Aw Neurorad, you just beat me to it!

EK

·
Registered
6,126 Posts

gotcha

I have an iPad mounted in a VidaBox frame, looks beautiful. Sits on the counter, plugged into a 110v outlet.

Wife doesn't want it on the kitchen wall, for now. I only use it to control audio. Future plans include lighting, HVAC, and alarm. Kitchen remodel will add lighting. I bought the VidaBox single iPad extender, but haven't tried it yet. The installed cat6 is waiting to be used.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have to say its a very cool option and idea. I have a couple ipads but we use them daily. I was going android due to cost savings. Heck this morning I picked up a couple of the HP Tablets that went on clearence for $99. Now I have 3 of them I could use.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljo000 /forum/post/20853274

The HP touchpad has a charging station that doesn't use wires to charge the tablet. It would be cool to mount that on the wall as a cradle.

It does? I haven't seen that. That could be cool!

·
Registered
784 Posts
Its on the HP website:

Touchstone Charging Dock

It looks like it wouldn't be difficult to wall mount and if you had a recessed outlet to plug it into, it could work nicely. The only problem I can see is that the image shows the dock holding the tablet at an angle. It might not hold it in well if its perfectly straight.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Also, for those that missed the touchpad sale, there is a good deal on the Velocity Micro Cruz R101 on here .

Its not anywhere near as powerful as the touchpad/galaxy/ipad but at only $85 for android 2, its a great deal for web browser based home A/V control.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.