AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here and not real savvy on this new stuff. I just got a Toshiba 46XV64u LCD and I'm about to buy an A/V receiver and Bluray player. I'm going to hook up a cable box, BR player, and VCR to a 5.1 or 7.1 A/V receiver. My question is since the Toshiba already upconverts video and has tons of connection options, is there any reason that I can't hook up the cable box, Bluray player (via HDMI) and VCR to the TV first and run a digital optical cable out to the receiver? If done this way will the receiver decode all the audio that it receives though the digital cable in? It sure seems like an easy way to do it, but with my luck it probably won't work. I'd like to be able to get a good A/V receiver but not bust the bank. It seems the more HDMI connections you get on a receiver, the more it cost. Also, many of the mid range ones need a seperate audio cable even with the HDMI. I'm hoping to get a older good A/V receiver that has great audio and a turntable in jack (I know I'm showing my age). Would love to know if this setup would work without loosing any of the dolby surround cababilties. Thaks for any help. Bennycheck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.