AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I purchased the following at Best Buy for my living room (13x25). I did some research on my own but did rely heavily on the salesperson's expertise to make final decisions. I am now at home and have read mixed reviews on the Blu-ray player I purchased. Also do I really need the high priced Monster Cables or are they worth it? I thought I needed a receiver for the soundbar but was told I did not. Not sure if it is okay in this forum to put in individual prices but the total cost of everything was 4k which included 4 year warranty and the install of everything I purchased (except soundbar, they wanted $199 for that) as well as mounting on the wall.

Samsung 52 1080p/240 hz model LN52B750

Polk Audio - SurroundBar SDA Home Theater Speaker System

Samsung - Blu-ray Disc Player with 1080p Output - Black/Grey

Monster Cable - THX 1000 8' HDMI A/V Cable

Monster Cable - 8' THX Digital Fiber-Optic Cable Sanus

Tilting Wall Mount for 30 " - 50" Flat-Panel TVs - Black (I was told this was an old sku and would receive the correct mount for 52 inch tv)

Did I get my money's worth? Thanks in advance for any input!

·
Registered
4,217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy /forum/post/17050266

Today I purchased the following at Best Buy for my living room (13x25). I did some research on my own but did rely heavily on the salesperson's expertise to make final decisions. I am now at home and have read mixed reviews on the Blu-ray player I purchased. Also do I really need the high priced Monster Cables or are they worth it? I thought I needed a receiver for the soundbar but was told I did not. Not sure if it is okay in this forum to put in individual prices but the total cost of everything was 4k which included 4 year warranty and the install of everything I purchased (except soundbar, they wanted $199 for that) as well as mounting on the wall.

Tilting Wall Mount for 30 " - 50" Flat-Panel TVs - Black (I was told this was an old sku and would receive the correct mount for 52 inch tv)

Samsung - It is a fine TV.

Polk Audio - Soundbar -- if that is what you wanted, then it is fine. Just be aware you'll never get amazing audio from any soundbar (much less surround sound). For a single mount-on-the-wall solution, it could work for you. You'll need a receiver.

Samsung BD player - it is fine.

Now the bad: you way overpaid for the Monster Cables and tilting wall mount and installation.

Return it and go to www.monoprice.com - http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2 . Also check out the other HDMI cables.

You don't need the fiber optic cable. Return it.

Return the overpriced Sanus mount and get this: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2 . It'll be much cheaper and do everything you need it to.

Return the Extended Warranty as they are overpriced and worthless.

...and you need a receiver...which you'll be able to afford after returning all of that high priced stuff back to Best Buy. Good entry level receivers include Onkyo, Yamaha, Pioneer, etc.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Monster = way overpriced. Click the banners at the top of the forum for Blue Jeans Cable or Monoprice. High quality cables without the bloated price.

Separate speakers will always sound better than a sound bar. It really depends on what you want. If you don't like the look of standard speakers (even small ones) then you made the right choice. Just don't expect it to sound like a true surround system.

Not sure what the Samsung costs but, there are better players. The money saved on the cables could probably go to a better player.

I never buy the extended warranties. Just another way for them to make more money.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,150 Posts

Quote:

...Best Buy.... salesperson's expertise

Generally regarded as an oxymoron.

Betsy, welcome to the forum please come back if you need more help.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
id return the blu ray player as well. samsung is well known for orphaning their bd players with very poor firmware support. id return that, the warranty, the cables and the soundbar as it is not likely to provide enough output for a room that size. id go with the pioneer 320 blu ray instead, an energy 5.1 setup or a polk 5.1 setup--if you realy want to splurge look at audioadvisor.com at some of their closeouts on NHT and energy speakers--very good deals to be had.. id go online and get an harman kardon, onkyo, or marantz refurb receiver from some of the reputable sites that people here use and go to monoprice/bluejeans for cables and mounts. If it were me id get a set of 5 NHT bookshelves, a decent budget sub--look at svs, velodyne (audioadvisor clearance tend to be great deals on velo), BIC, one of those avr's and a pioneer 320, JVC blu ray, or oppo bdp 83 blu ray and cable it with monoprice--this would be a really great system you could have for quite some time. the setup is relatively easy and we can guide you through it. Honestly, other than the tv id return everything and start from scratch.

You could get the blu ray player (if you go with pioneer) from BB and if you went with polk speakers you could get them there too but it wouldn;t be my first choice. If you dont want refurb avr's jr.com has great prices on harman kardon and onkyo brand new and they are great to work with. The marantz 6003, 7003, HK 254/354/3550, pioneer sc-05, onkyo706/876/806 would be good options. the sc 05 is a great deal these days!

basically i am really really not trying to be snobbish or dismissive but since you asked--people here are really giving you good info--the tv you got is great (imho) but everything else is really expensive and likely wont meet your needs or desires. a soundbar is ok if you are using it in a bedroom or den but definitely not a substitute for a proper speaker setup.

i wouldnt say you got duped at bestbuy--some of their employees are very enthusiastic but i have never found any of them to be knowledgable (nor any other big box retailer)--Im sure there are exceptions--like people who post here that happen to be BB employees--but without doing your own research you never know what youre gonna get.

cheers and happy hunting!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, thanks already for the great advice! So if I do not need a fiber optic cable do I to buy something to replace it with? I do not even know what the fiber optic was purchased for other than they said I needed it. The salesperson told me he got me this great deal due to the fact that I purchased the warranty and applied for the Best Buy credit card to use for the purchase. The cc does not bother me as I have done this several times and just pay it off on when I get the bill.

I am not sure why he said I did not need a receiver, I had researched this and decided on Onkyo 5.1 channel TX-SR507 ($336 on Amazon). Will this fit the bill or do you recommend something else?

I was wanting to get a PS3 for the DVD player but salesperson said not to do this since it did not upconvert regular DVD's to HiDef. Would that be a good choice? I really did try to research all of this before purchasing but it was just information overload.

The installation inlcluding mounting the tv was $229. Does that still sound like too much?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As far as the soundbar hubby does not want wires or speakers in the room but I knew the tv alone would not cut it due to reviews I read so that I why we got the soundbar vs a speaker system.

Hubby said the soundbar did not need a receiver since it had volume control on the actual soundbar. Do you agree with this logic?

Denophile - You did not come off as dismissive or snobbish but you did go WAY over my head with your recommendations bordering on speaking japanese to me.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy /forum/post/17050942

As far as the soundbar hubby does not want wires or speakers in the room but I knew the tv alone would not cut it due to reviews I read so that I why we got the soundbar vs a speaker system.

Hubby said the soundbar did not need a receiver since it had volume control on the actual soundbar. Do you agree with this logic?

Denophile - You did not come off as dismissive or snobbish but you did go WAY over my head with your recommendations bordering on speaking japanese to me.

ok--hes right the sda model has active drivers and no avr is needed. sorry for the confusion!

http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/s...comparison.php

·
Registered
161 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy /forum/post/17050872

I was wanting to get a PS3 for the DVD player but salesperson said not to do this since it did not upconvert regular DVD's to HiDef. Would that be a good choice? I really did try to research all of this before purchasing but it was just information overload.

The installation inlcluding mounting the tv was $229. Does that still sound like too much?

i feel terrible reading this. so to start you will LOVE that TV

ok so the points i highlighted. they lied to you the ps3 WILL upconvert dvds to hd. so you can get that.

that onkyo receiver will work great for you

also you did pay too much for installation. seeing theres no way they plan to hide your wires or run electrical all they plan to do is plug cords in and mount the tv on the wall which if u own a wrench and a level is easy. i mean if your local to anyone this is a job that could be done for a beer.

monoprice for mount and cables will be cheaper than a single monster cable you bought. good luck and any other questions ask away

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
Everything is fine except the monster cables. Like others have said, massive rip off.

·
Registered
928 Posts

Quote:

stick with the extd warranty...no matter WHAT anyone will tell u. We are an authorized seller and Servicenter for over 20 brands...Samsung is one....ave repair costs out of warranty--$600-800.

This is one term policy u will b happy when it pays off and it will !

alan

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanl715 /forum/post/17051726

stick with the extd warranty...no matter WHAT anyone will tell u. We are an authorized seller and Servicenter for over 20 brands...Samsung is one....ave repair costs out of warranty--$600-800.

This is one term policy u will b happy when it pays off and it will !

alan

25 years of buying electronics and I have yet to need to use an extended war. They are pure profit for the reseller period (which may be why you would suggest this).

Electronics are pretty simple. You have THE greatest chance of any electronics to go bad easily within the first 30 days of owning it (or say 10 hours of us). It it gets past that, you have a 99% chance of not having a unit with problems.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
1) The PS3 does upconvert as stated above

2) The new PS3 is coming out on August 25th (I think) and is being released at $299 so $100 less than the current version

The extended warranty. Here is my take on it - is it worth what BB charges for it - No way! Have I gotten good discounts when I offered to buy the warranty - yes. They often gave me a small discount when I said no warranty then bumped it up significantly. So I get it when I can get it for like $100-200 on a $2-3K tv after the EXTRA discount. More than that and I don't get it.......

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks again for all the input! The warranty for everything was $349. I have always purchased warranties (not sure what happened to my Circuit City warranty we paid $400 last year for downstairs set up). I also have never used a warranty for anything I have purchased including furniture but I am a believer in Murphy's Law and I can just see if I don't get it this time something will happen and it will be a complete nightmare vs calling Best Buy and telling them to take care of it. So I am on the fence on if I should cancel this or not. The only thing I brought home yesterday was the cables and the DVD. The rest is to be delivered when they install it.

Sure about:

Going to return the cables and tv mount and order from the links posted in this thread. This will end up saving me over $200. Also going to return the DVD player and get the PS3. The PS3 is actually the same price as the DVD and it plays video games to boot!

Still not sure about:

Do I need a receiver? Some are saying yes, some are saying no.

I know I need to return the fiber optic cable but do I need to replace it with a more affordable cable or does one come with the equipment that is just fine to use?

The warranty. I am on the fence on this one. If I really do need the receiver then I could cancel the warranty and buy the receiver and not be out any extra $. But if I cancel the warranty and something happens hubby will never let me hear the end of it. Also since I did get a big discount on items purchased if I cancel the warranty will that cause problems? The receipt has the discounts rang up as price match competitor so I am thinking I am okay.

The installation. Hubby would have to do it and he is not very handy (ssshhh, don't tell him I said that!). Is it really that easy to mount on the wall and install the components for someone that is not AV inclined?

·
Registered
83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy /forum/post/17052909

Thanks again for all the input! The warranty for everything was $349. I have always purchased warranties (not sure what happened to my Circuit City warranty we paid $400 last year for downstairs set up). I also have never used a warranty for anything I have purchased including furniture but I am a believer in Murphy's Law and I can just see if I don't get it this time something will happen and it will be a complete nightmare vs calling Best Buy and telling them to take care of it. So I am on the fence on if I should cancel this or not. The only thing I brought home yesterday was the cables and the DVD. The rest is to be delivered when they install it.

Sure about:

Going to return the cables and tv mount and order from the links posted in this thread. This will end up saving me over $200. Also going to return the DVD player and get the PS3. The PS3 is actually the same price as the DVD and it plays video games to boot!

Still not sure about:

I know I need to return the fiber optic cable but do I need to replace it with a more affordable cable or does one come with the equipment that is just fine to use?

The warranty. I am on the fence on this one. If I really do need the receiver then I could cancel the warranty and buy the receiver and not be out any extra $. But if I cancel the warranty and something happens hubby will never let me hear the end of it. Also since I did get a big discount on items purchased if I cancel the warranty will that cause problems? The receipt has the discounts rang up as price match competitor so I am thinking I am okay.

The installation. Hubby would have to do it and he is not very handy (ssshhh, don't tell him I said that!). Is it really that easy to mount on the wall and install the components for someone that is not AV inclined?

It appears as though it is not a requirement to get a receiver for your setup because your soundbar has the inputs directly on it.

The reason they were saying you did not need the optical cable (which transmits your audio) was because HDMI cables transmit both audio and video. BUT you will need to keep that cable (or buy an optical cable from monoprice and return the overpriced one to Best Buy) if you do not buy a receiver.

With a receiver you need TWO HDMI cables (one from the bluray player to the receiver and one from the receiver to the TV).

Without a receiver, you need one HDMI cable and one optical cable (the HDMI connects the bluray player to the TV and the optical cable connects the bluray player to the sound bar).

As far as installation goes, your the best judge if you feel as though you can handle it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
your warranty from circuit city is still good! our warranty company was always owned by GE, and they still honor the warranties. The phone number is still the same i believe. As far as warrenties go, i believe if you want one, buy it. If you say no after hearing ALL that the warranty covers, and the sales person still pushes it, he is simply trying to meet a sales budget. I would never buy anything from a pushy sales person for anything electronic. I never sold anything that way, which is why i was never CLOSE to my budget for extended warranties. I would buy the shortest term one, its usually cheapest and if your are repairing a 5 year old tv, you are fixing a WAY outdated piece of equipment. IMO anyway.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy /forum/post/17052909

Sure about:

Still not sure about:

You won't need the fiber optic cable if you plan on running the audio thru HDMI. If your soundbar does not have HDMI but has fiber optic, then you will need the fiber optic cable to run the audio. If you soundbar has HDMI, make sure it can pass the audio thru, if not then you need the fiber optic cable. Hope I did not confuse you.

·
Registered
7,567 Posts
Alright, hold the phone here for a second everyone.

Betsy, is this the model you bought from Worst Buy?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218034004952

If it is, it does not even have a digital connection. Further, it comes with cables in the box for hooking it up to the player of your choice (two analog RCA cables.) You do not need to purchase *any* cables to hook the Soundbar SDA to a dvd player. The salesman was scamming you plain and simple by getting you to buy the “Monster Cable - 8' THX Digital Fiber-Optic Cable.” Return it. (As a side note, if you buy a PS3 it comes with the cable you need to connect the sound bar to it too.)

For further evidence please see the pictures available at Newegg (These pictures may not mean a lot to you, but to other’s giving advice in this thread, it will confirm that you do not need a receiver, and that you do not need to buy any other cables to run the audio.)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowIm...ss%20Subwoofer

I don’t know if the soundbar will give you great sound or not, but it should sound better than the TV’s speakers.

I would also return the “Monster Cable - THX 1000 8' HDMI A/V Cable” as it is a royal scam too. If you need an 8’ cable for the distance, go to this link and buy this cable:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Seriously, at $4 it will work exactly the same as that Monster Cable. Monoprice also has different lengths (and you can even get them in colors like green or blue or red if you want.) If you don’t need an 8’ cable, but aren’t 100% sure to pick the right one, just post back here with the length you need and someone can give you the correct link.

Yeah, go ahead and return that dvd player and get a PS3 if you want a PS3. It plays DVDs and blu rays just fine. Again, the Worst Buy employee was either completely ignorant of his job or flat out lying to you.

Don’t really know anything about the TV. But you’re not likely to find it cheaper anywhere else, so go with it.

As for paying for installation, be realistic, do you feel confident that you can hang the TV? If not, pay for them to do it and be done with it.

Lastly, as for the warranty, I never buy them. If they don’t fail within the normal warranty period, they likely will last far longer than you will want to keep them.

-Suntan

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
I would return that sound bar and get this one.
http://www.compusa.com/applications/...786&CatId=4597

You wont need a receiver and it has the main connections on the subwoofer. You still need to connect to the actual soundbar but it offers digital sound and is much more feature rich.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts