AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been ready the threads on this forum for about two months in prep for wiring of our new home. I hope this question doesn't seem too dumb, but I need some clarification before starting my wiring.

I will have two sources of incoming video - one from DishNetwork and one from HDTV off-air antenna. I am planning on running two RG6 cables to each TV location, one that will carry both the dish and antenna feeds, one to modulate back to my wiring panel if needed in the future. I may also run one or two security cameras in the future.

I also want to distribute whole-house audio and am looking at Nuvo and Russound. The CAV 6.6 seems to be popular here on this forum. Here's what I don't understand---

If I plan on running the video in and out of my structured wiring panel in my utility room, why would I also need to run video out of the CAV 6.6?? Would I do both? Why run it through the CAV?? THe CAV will only handle 6 zones and I will have more video drops than that anyway.

Hoping someone will help me understand....

·
Registered
257 Posts
It sounds to "me" like you don't need the video portion of the CAV. If you already are going to run video through your structured wiring, I think you only need a CA series. Much less money....

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Yes. Or the CAM series. If you like the double gang wall plates, it can be cheaper to buy a CAV than purchase the CAM and upgrade to the larger wall plates. The CA is certainly less expensive - but I don't like the controls quite as much.

Maybe I'm overemphasizing the importance of the wall plate, but those are how you will do most of your interaction with the system.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
It was so much about functionality as looks. The UNO plates look approachable and dummy-proof.

They do also have a larger display and you can stream the XM station, for example, (and other information with MainLobby and the corresponding plugin) on the UNO LCD keypads. I don't think there is a ML plugin (if you were going to run a media server) for the CA series - but that could be entirely irrelevant depending on the buyer.

I wasn't trying to suggest that everyone would figure the RNET solutions are worth the extra dough, just that that's my personal preference.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.