AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning a Home Theatre Design with an AV Rack that will be in the back of the room. I want to keep the wall with the TV clean and neat (TV and in-wall speakers only). Does anyone have their gaming consoles in rack? And tips / suggestions?

Many thanks,
Detox

·
Registered
752 Posts
One concern is that not everything is wireless. With the Xbox One, for example, you have to hardwire the Kinect. With the Wii, the sensor also had to be hardwired.

I'm building out my basement and will have a projector with (probably) an AT wall up front, but haven't figured out where the Kinect is going to go yet... :(

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
One concern is that not everything is wireless. With the Xbox One, for example, you have to hardwire the Kinect. With the Wii, the sensor also had to be hardwired.
There are wireless sensor bars for the Wii, FYI...

I'm building out my basement and will have a projector with (probably) an AT wall up front, but haven't figured out where the Kinect is going to go yet... :(
Note that the motion-based games don't play well with projector setups. Because jumping around in front of the screen, the players will very, very likely intercept the image beam from the projector. May ruin the experience - so either plan very carefully, or forget using the Kinect / Wii in the theater room.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Note that the motion-based games don't play well with projector setups. Because jumping around in front of the screen, the players will very, very likely intercept the image beam from the projector. May ruin the experience - so either plan very carefully, or forget using the Kinect / Wii in the theater room.
Kinect does more than just motion sense though. It automatically detects who's playing (facial recognition) and logs them into their profile. It also allows voice commands ("Xbox, pause," for example, when watching Netflix), and some games use voice commands to do stuff. That's my use case 95% of the time, I rarely use the motion sensing in actual games.

There's also games that don't have you jumping around -- playing Battlefield 4, for example, Kinect could detect you leaning to the right/left to peer around corners. The technology is only going to keep getting better as well and not rely on people jumping around. :)

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
The cheapest and most brutally simple wireless sensor bar for the Wii is actually 2 lit candles a few inches apart. The Wii sensor bar isn't really a sensor. It's an IR emitter where the sensor is actually in the controller.

Back on topic, I have my PS4 sitting on a vented rack shelf. You're going to want to give it a decent amount of space both above and below (1U minimum) and away from heat generators like an AVR. The fan and disc drive aren't silent running at all so noise will be an issue if the rack is near your seat position.

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
Kinect does more than just motion sense though.
Just making sure you understand the limitations in a projector setup...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts