AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I'm building an open home theater in the basement. Trying to find a location to place the AV rack, so it doesn't stand out. I have attached the picture of the rack that I'm planning to use.
- Should I have the AV rack inside the home theater room or outside?
- If outside, how can I make the remotes to work?

Thanks for your inputs

Attachments

·
Registered
432 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response Five28. How many cat5e do I need, if I plan to move the AV rack to a different location? Is that 1 cat5e per device?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree with you that AV rack should be acceptable in the home theater space. My problem is that if I choose to keep in the home theater, I'm loosing a lot of space in the medium sized home theater.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a dedicated theater room, only about 14 x 14, so I opted to have the rack outside and use a Logitech Harmony Ultimate to control everything, including the lighting, and it works great.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Thanks. 1 cat5 per device?
Cat5e, for network, or AV signal? If network, put a network switch in the rack and you'll only need one cable- plan ahead and buy a switch that has more ports than you think you'll ever use. It's amazing how running out is likely, rather than a vague possibility. Luxul has 8, 16 and 24 port models that have a magnetic mount, for installation in AV racks like yours. They're Gigabit and the backstrap is capable of more than double the speed needed for all of the ports (remember, Gigabit is full duplex, so it's sending and receiving at the same time, at full speed).

If you can plan to keep the rack in ne spot and never need to move it, install some kind of conduit from the rack to the display and leave enough cable to allow moving the rack to any place along the wall where you want to put it, in case something changes in the future- it's better to have more cable than you need than to need to make everything longer.

If you have an adjacent room where you can afford to lose a little of it, you could build a small closet at the rear of the theater and push the rack up to the opening, which should be build to fit. If the rack is one of the steel ones, they usually have an option for a glass door- it allows you to see the equipment, it allows easy access and it looks cool.

Have a dedicated 20A circuit installed for the AV system and DO NOT share the power with anything that's not part of the system.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts