AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of a manufacturer who makes low and wide AV stands? I need something that has 6 shelves, but is only 20ish – 25ish inches in height. It would need to be 3 shelves wide and 2 shelves high. I need to fit all my AV gear under my wall mounted screen with enough room to have my center channel sitting on top of the unit. I can’t find anybody who makes a nice rack like this.

Maybe some DIY ideas? Anyone have low/wide shelves custom made? There is Wife Acceptance Factor involved so plywood supported by cinder blocks is not an option :).

Thanks,

George

·
Registered
625 Posts
Have you considered a DIY flexirack? Search the forum there are several threads with them. Here is a link to a picture of mine.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=232084

Look down a few posts for the one that says flexi rack. Basicaly you take mdf, cut it to the size you want. Then drill holes in the corners for a threaded rod to fit through. Put the rod in and thread a nut and washer all the way up to where you want the shelf to sit and boom you're done. I spray painted my mdf black and left the silver on the threaded rods alone. It gives it a nice industrial silver and black look. Mine hides behind a curtain so I didn't get real fancy but you can get as nice as you want. In all it probably cost less than 50 bucks and looks very nice.

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,885 Posts
If you want to go with a rail mount rack system I see that Middle Atlantic makes a 12 space rack that is 21 inches High in Black or Oak laminate (these are shipped flat and you assemble). you could just set 3 side by side and screw together to make them look like one unit. Of course than you need to buy the shelves etc.

I also have a used beige laminate unit that I made, it has 3 open bays side by side that fit standard electronics gear, is about 20 inches high and is open in the back. I made it out of particle board and put on a beige laminate. I think the top and bottom is double thickness ( I don't know what I was thinking) It weighs over 100 lbs.

Any way I no longer use it and if you would help me carry it out of my basement to your truck it's yours. Please come and adopt it! It's just taking up space in my workshop.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.