AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

This is my First Post, Hopefully I am not braking any rules

I got the home theater building bug and I am looking at building my own In-wall Component Rack. I did a search on this in this forum but I can't seem to find the info I need.

I have cut the hole in the wall now (That was fun ) and I have come to a Road block. After I cut the whole I realized that the Right side of the hole does not have a 2x4 for me to screw the a Rack Rail to the back of the wall. I am not sure what to do to reinforce that side of the rack (Right Side). I was planning to add a 2X4 from the floor to the Roof, but Unfortunately there is an Electrical Cord at the bottom of the shelf hole (Please see first pic below)

Any ideas what I can do to add support and add stability to the wall, so I can screw the Rack Rails to the wall on the Right side?

Please take a look at the pics to see what I am talking about.

Bottom Right Pic:

Top Right Pic:

As you can see, I've added a temporary 2X4 between the drywall. I was thinking of screwing that 2x4 to the drywall and build some sort of square to the component rack (Hole), but I thought I would ask firts if this is ok.

Top Left Corner:

I think I am ok on the left side of the hole since I have a 2 X 4 there.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

George

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,142 Posts
If it wasn't for that romex cable I would screw that 2x4 to the adjacent 2x4. Can you move it? Could you scoot it over and use a 2x3? Could you cut a channel in the 2x4 and fit over the cable?.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Screw the temporary 2x4 in to the drywall like you described, but also add another 2x4 horizontally between the two vertical 2x4's. If you don't have access to nail it all together with framing nails (looks like you don't), use metal brackets to screw the verticals to the horizontals at each end. You should be able to find a suitable bracket in the framing section of your local hardware store.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick replies guys.

So you think If i build a square around the hole with the metal brackets, and screwing the square around it with Drywall screws would be enough? Or I need the Framing nails? Would that hold ~4 or ~5 components when all is done?

BIGmouthinDC - Unfortunately I am not much of a electrical guy, however, I have an electrician coming to my house next weekend to install all the home theater lights, I suppose I can ask him to move that cable or ask him to completely get rid of it. However, if the "around the hole square frame" solution works, I rather go that Route.

George

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
Notch a 2x4" at the end, centered, for the electrical cable. Predrill the ends of the 2x4" as pilot holes for screws. Use a larger drill bit to create a recess for the screw head. Glue and screw. Don't drive the screw too deep, or you'll risk splitting the notched 2x4". Use drywall screws to attach the drywall to the new framework.

And if that is pressure treated lumber you used, I'd recommend you remove it entirely. Why needlessly introduce poisons into your home?

·
Registered
195 Posts
If you are concerned about the weight issue just turn two 2 x 4 s on their flat side as uprights ( jacks ) put one on each side against the dry wall and run two or three screws through the rock into the wood to hold them in place, just remember to leave them short by one and a half inches so your sill plate will set down flush with your sheet rock cut out , they will post down your load weight to the bottom plate at the floor. I also agree with op about treated lumber get it out of the house and just use standard un-treated lumber, good luck and post the finished pics.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the heads up on the treated wood suggestion. Believe or not I did not notice I was using treated wood there.

sawzalot - Not sure if I understand what you mean. I have taken a couple of pics as examples.

I tried to insert the 2x4 flat on their sides as you had suggested but unfortunately that's is not going to work since the 2x4 are hitting the Stud so they can't go in there any further.

So far looks like this is the only way the 2x4s are going to fit in there.

Here are a couple of more pics of the semi assembled rack at the back of the wall.

BIGmouthinDC - Basically I am following YW84U's guide. I am sure It wont look like like YW84U's AV cabinet. He did a fantastic job with that setup. See the link below.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=13152810

Keep the ideas/suggestions coming guys

Thanks,

George

·
Registered
195 Posts
the pic where you are standing in front of the opening you have a stud on the right and to the left is the area that has the recept in the way well if you cut two studs short to come up to the the cut out like where the sill would be if that were a window you just leave those 1 1/2 inches short one can go in the same as the stud on the right side, slide it down in the hollow void and push against the stud on the right side, fasten with screws,on the left side turn on the flat to clear the recept, slide down and push against the rock, fasten with screws, now cut a two by four to fit in the void from stud on the right to the stud on the left just notch around the wire running up existing stud , this will be your sill and it will rest on the two short studs that you just slid down on the right and left, now you can cut a stud to stand up on this sill on the left side and bring it flush to your sheet rock cut out on the left and run rock screws through to hold in place all weight will transfer down to bottom plate.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts