59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need help, I can spend about 5-600 on receiverand

the rest on speakers. I liked the B&W speakers but may

be too expensive

·
Premium Member
7,235 Posts
I recently went through a similar exercise in putting together a system for my girlfriend. I only wanted to spend $1000 though I limited myself to the 2 front channels.

I settled on the Onkyo 600 receiver (good price at onecall.com) and went with the Diva 4.1s (on sale for $600). So I spent more than I wanted to (I also got her a Tosh DVD player for like $120) but she now has the basic building blocks and can expand from there. Next step of course will be the center channel.

This may sound heretical but after the crappy mono stuff she was listening to through a boombox (yikes, it broke my heart) this will be nirvana!

TM

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I would cute the receiver budget to $300 and spend $1198 on the current Diva 4.1/C3/2.1 combo deal from av123 dot com.

I have it and love it - and you know how much other people do too. If you don't - read about them and how they compare to much more expensive B&W speakers.

·
Registered
319 Posts
glazier1231,

Not sure what kinda of listening you do. You just stated a need for a receiver and speakers. 2 channel? 5.1? And what is the music vs. HT ratio. Mine is around 40/60 music/ht or ht/music... depends on when you ask. :D

I have to second chrisreeves opinion if you are going with a HT set up. But a bit more on the receiver would be nice and that doesn't allow room for sub. A sub isn't necessary (It's the last piece people generally suggust you get), but a nice one will definately improve your enjoyment. I've listened to B&W's and those where going to be my pick (the CM4). After a few months, I discovered the Diva's (**********) and looked into them. This forum has a great Official Diva thread. I looked at http://www.audioenvy.com to find an audition, but someone local (and not on audioenvy) told me that I could listen at his place. What I discovered blew me away. The Diva 6.1's that I listened to were just great. In fact, just yesterday, I want back to observe/help out with another audition. What made me get the Diva's? They were a great price AND they sounded better then other speakers I listened to that cost 50%-100% more.

One last thing... try to listen to a lot of speakers. (You might be doing this, but I can't tell). A/Bing speakers would be great. This will give you more confidence in you purchase and is just a good idea.

Anthonymoody,

I'd be interested in hearing what you have to say about the Diva 4.1's.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Glazier:

A number of good thoughts given here. I believe the Diva's must be fine speakers and excellent value as reflected by their owner's enthusiasm for the product.

But...what good is it to have speakers of the Diva's quality if you feed it an inferior source. No matter how good the speaker is (and the better the speaker the more revealing of the source it is) garbage in - garbage out. You would most likely be better off upping the ante on the source and balance that by cutting back on the speakers (and listen to the 4.1s vs. the B&W's).

Just my .02

Bob P

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
You can get a Denon 1602 on Ebay for around $300.00 shipped to your house. That should be sufficient to power your Divas for the time being. Receivers come and go, but you will never want to get rid of the Divas. :)

·
Premium Member
7,235 Posts
Goodc,

I expect them to arrive shortly...we'll set em up and I'll report back. With all the raves around here I'm nervous for my B&W 802N's ;)

This is the 1st thing I've ever bought site/sound unseen (sorry, the 2nd, the 1st was a firehawk screen).

TM

·
Registered
319 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by anthonymoody
Goodc,

I expect them to arrive shortly...we'll set em up and I'll report back. With all the raves around here I'm nervous for my B&W 802N's ;)
SWEET. B&W N802's.

I know that the Diva 4.1's aren't in the same (price) league with the N802's but I'd like to hear you're opinion of the two when you can.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
BP:

I don't think there's as much difference between a low end receiver and a high end receiver as there is between a low end speaker and a high end speaker. In addition, a good speaker will last a long long time, while receiver performance seems to be continually increasing. Plus it's physically much easier to swap out a low end receiver for a high end one than it is to go changing a complete speaker set-up.

I am driving my Divas with a $199 Sony 5.1 receiver. I can see you cringing now. =) When I get the money I will definitely upgrade to a better receiver (maybe even separates). But for now the sound quality is still very impressive to my ears.

·
Registered
404 Posts
i think a little different

i just replaced a 3 month old jvc 8010(200$) with a new yamaha rxv1(1250$)

big differance i have wharfedale emerald 97s they sounded good before now they sound great

i think you should buy the better reciever first then upgrade speakers

how much more can they do to recievers (dolby6and7-i can run 5 pair now how many more are needed

i recently had a chance to hear a outlaw and it equils my yamaha at half the price. i didnt buy one earlier because i couldnt hear one localy now that i have i regret the yamaha

have you looked at axiom for speakers(i have michaura speakers that are made by axiom and they are wonderful i was going to get a pair of norh but now i think im getting the m80ti by axiom)

if a had to do it over m60 or m80 with a outlaw and a new cd player

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.