AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi like the title.

Can yo make me a list of a lot of av receiver from the most having smooth trebles to the receiver with enphatized midhigh frequencies.

This is what i know:

sweet and velvety trebles:

marantz

nad

h/k

hard mid range e hard trebles power

yamaha

pioneer

denon

onkyo

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDeeds /forum/post/18140589

I have a Denon and I dont think it is hard on treble. Now, I agree with the Marantz having a sweet and toasty smooth highs.

yes true on marantz i have it

what model of denon do you have?

can you do a recording audio in flat mode with tone and audyssey turned off?

·
Banned
368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by plata90 /forum/post/18140641

yes true on marantz i have it

what model of denon do you have?

can you do a recording audio in flat mode with tone and audyssey turned off?

It is an old Denon avr 3300 so no audyssey. Stomped the hell out of my new Pioneer Elite VSX21thx when it comes to sound quality. Now you talk about harsh trebles and bright sounding receiver there.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDeeds /forum/post/18140661

It is an old Denon avr 3300 so no audyssey. Stomped the hell out of my new Pioneer Elite VSX21thx when it comes to sound quality. Now you talk about harsh trebles and bright sounding receiver there.

sorry i don't understand you i'm italian

can speak in more simple words

·
Banned
368 Posts
I meant my old Denon avr3300 (circa 2000) has no audyssey calibration, etc. I just purchased a Pioneer Elite VSX 21 thx last xmas and I have to say it is too bright and harsh to the ears and my old Denon sounds way way better that the Pioneer and that's why I bought a Marantz sr7002 because I want something with the new formats and something that will sound better than what I have. I also auditioned the Denon 2310ci and I liked the sound quality of it as well (sounds exactly as my old one on two channel mode). I auditioned the Marantz and was blown away by how it sounds thats why i bought one.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDeeds /forum/post/18145813

I meant my old Denon avr3300 (circa 2000) has no audyssey calibration, etc. I just purchased a Pioneer Elite VSX 21 thx last xmas and I have to say it is too bright and harsh to the ears and my old Denon sounds way way better that the Pioneer and that's why I bought a Marantz sr7002 because I want something with the new formats and something that will sound better than what I have. I also auditioned the Denon 2310ci and I liked the sound quality of it as well (sounds exactly as my old one on two channel mode). I auditioned the Marantz and was blown away by how it sounds thats why i bought one.

i got a marantz 5004 and want change to a denon 2310 because it has few feautres.

you sayed marantz is better than pioneer... maybe and better on denon 2310... are you sure?

·
Banned
368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by plata90 /forum/post/18146783

i got a marantz 5004 and want change to a denon 2310 because it has few feautres.

you sayed marantz is better than pioneer... maybe and better on denon 2310... are you sure?

This is my personal opinion though, but Pioneer ELite was too bright and harsh for my taste. Even my wife noticed the difference when I installed it and she said our old Denon sounds way better. She, of course then told me it sounded good on movies anyways. Although she had to leave in the middle of watching a concert dvd as she says it just sounded to harsh for her ears. Even after calibration with MCACC, it didn't help at all. It had bass and all, but the highs are piercing and that was after lowering the high frequency volume. Anyways, yes the Denon sounds way better, way way better than the Pioneer. And yes, the Marantz sounds better than the Denon. This is all my personal opinion and yes, I used the same speakers for all of them. I kept the Denon and moved it to the game room and used exactly the same speakers I have in our media room. That's how much I loved its sound but the Marantz still sounds more musical and its highs are sweet and toasty and its bass is right on the money.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDeeds /forum/post/18147195

This is my personal opinion though, but Pioneer ELite was too bright and harsh for my taste. Even my wife noticed the difference when I installed it and she said our old Denon sounds way better. She, of course then told me it sounded good on movies anyways. Although she had to leave in the middle of watching a concert dvd as she says it just sounded to harsh for her ears. Even after calibration with MCACC, it didn't help at all. It had bass and all, but the highs are piercing and that was after lowering the high frequency volume. Anyways, yes the Denon sounds way better, way way better than the Pioneer. And yes, the Marantz sounds better than the Denon. This is all my personal opinion and yes, I used the same speakers for all of them. I kept the Denon and moved it to the game room and used exactly the same speakers I have in our media room. That's how much I loved its sound but the Marantz still sounds more musical and its highs are sweet and toasty and its bass is right on the money.

thanks a lot

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Mr. Deeds.

I have had the exact opposite experience.

After many years as a dedicated Denon Fanboy, I dumped my 3805 for the Pioneer Elite Sc-07 because the sound was so superior.

I found the entire upper register of the Denon to be harsh and fatiguing.

The SC-07 has been an amazing change for the better. It's punchy and bright without being harsh. It renders acoustical sounds (classical, jazz, folk/bluegrass) flawlessly and does a remarkable job with everything else.

plata90... good luck.

My guess is that for every opinion, you'll get or find one that states the exact opposite. You are best off (if possible where you are) to audition everything you are interested in and deciding for yourself, with your own ears if it meets your needs.

shane

·
Registered
724 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by plata90 /forum/post/18140505

Hi like the title.

Can yo make me a list of a lot of av receiver from the most having smooth trebles to the receiver with enphatized midhigh frequencies.

This is what i know:

sweet and velvety trebles:

marantz

nad

h/k

hard mid range e hard trebles power

yamaha

pioneer

denon

onkyo

If you take auto EQ out of the mix what you are posting is a bunch of anecdotal BS gleaned from reading what people "think" rather than what "is"

For any who think NAD is sweet there are an equal number that think it is harsh or neutral. And the same for each of the other brands. There are an equal number who think Yamaha is neutral as think it is harsh. Reason being is that all of this is opinionated BS. In an unsighted test, as long as these receivers are not pushed past their specs, there would be no sq difference between them. People who have posted these types of threads have been challanged for years to provide even a shred of evidence to support these type of claims. (other than: "holy crap, I can hear a huge difference and if you can't then you must be deaf or have cheap crap, etc") And to date nobody has EVER provided any statistical evidence. Further, there have been many, many challanges for anybody who believes such drivel to put their ears to the test with substantial sums of money on the line. None have picked up the money. None. And I know as I am one of those who has been willing to put $10K up for anybody who believes they can. Nobody has taken the challange an its been here for years.

Level match receivers and put on the blind fold. Use the same material,speakers, and electronics and then come back and post the differences.

Take a look at this link:

http://www.matrixhifi.com/contenedor_ppec_eng.htm

I won't argue this on line but will argue via PM if you feel the need.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
No arguing but i will tell you what my ears said.I went from a rotel rsx1056 to a marantz sr8002.My speakers stayed the same for both in my family room.They did sound differently to my ears.And in another room i replaced a yamaha with a marantz receiver same speakers as well,they were different aswell.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi i'm back

i'm not sure to but between onkyo 707 and pioneer 1019. What's the best?

The 2nd seems like kenwood -> bad chassis and commercial functioins

but has MCACC, USB and 6 EQs.

I'm not sure if has PLz and sounds good.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I have no experience with amps but read that they all sound the same. Recievers or "AVRs" on the other hand can sound different. It has to do with the processing. I have a Pioneer SX-201 and a Denon AVR-1802. Without describing what the color blue looks like, there is a pretty big difference in the sound.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsaudio /forum/post/18312854

I have no experience with amps but read that they all sound the same. Recievers or "AVRs" on the other hand can sound different. It has to do with the processing. I have a Pioneer SX-201 and a Denon AVR-1802. Without describing what the color blue looks like, there is a pretty big difference in the sound.

what type of differences?

denon sounds better?

·
Registered
538 Posts
I compared three receivers at BB yesterday... This is a very un-scientific test but I level matched them as close as possible and used the same settings (Dolby prologic IIx), same speakers, same listening position etc.

Listened to a DVD (Joe Bonamassa live at Albert Hall)

Receivers were:

Onkyo TX-NR5007

Pioneer Elite SC-25

Yamaha V-2065

It was pretty much impossible to tell the difference honestly! I switched back and forth several times between the three and had I not known which one was playing I would not been able to pick! So... There might be slight differences in performance, features, etc... but overall sound quality it would be darn near impossible in a true blind test!

Now, that being said... my personal opinion... I liked the Pioneer the best, why? IDK... it sounded better to my Eyes! LOL

·
Banned
368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane55 /forum/post/18154979

Mr. Deeds.

I have had the exact opposite experience.

After many years as a dedicated Denon Fanboy, I dumped my 3805 for the Pioneer Elite Sc-07 because the sound was so superior.

I found the entire upper register of the Denon to be harsh and fatiguing.

The SC-07 has been an amazing change for the better. It's punchy and bright without being harsh. It renders acoustical sounds (classical, jazz, folk/bluegrass) flawlessly and does a remarkable job with everything else.

plata90... good luck.

My guess is that for every opinion, you'll get or find one that states the exact opposite. You are best off (if possible where you are) to audition everything you are interested in and deciding for yourself, with your own ears if it meets your needs.

shane

The sc-07 are what, top of the line compared to the entry level elite vsx21 txh, and the amp used for the sc's are ice amps right (did I say it right?). Anyways, like I said, I used the same speakers infinity primus 360's and it sounded different when using different receivers. The primus sounded like a pair of tin cans using Pioneer elite vsx 21 txh... I cannot tell the difference between a Denon 3300 and a Yamaha 5740 and I will tell you though that the Marantz sr7002 made my infinity primus sing. Just from personal experience though.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hello,

Have you tried listening to your VSX-21 with MCACC off? Sometimes, Speaker EQ's can make things sound worse.

The VSX-21 is not entry level. It weighs almost 40 pounds though does not use the ICE Amplifiers that the SC Series uses. The VSX-1019 is closer to entry level and weighs about half as much as the VSX-21 (VSX-21:39 lbs /VSX-1019:19 lbs)

Cheers,

AD

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.