AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a new receiver for my new home theater. The room isn't large - 13'x11'x8', so I don't think I'll need a whole lot of juice. I haven't settled on the speakers yet, but will probably put together a 5.1 setup from Paradigm or Axiom or equivalent for $1200-$1500 or so. I'd like to graduate from the run-of-the-mill Sony/Pioneer feature-laden units and dedicate more budget to audio quality than bells and whistles. That said, one bell/whistle that is particularly attractive is an included mic for auto speaker setup. As much as I love to tweak, with 2 kids under the age of 3 I just don't have the time for it and would rather get it pretty darn close automatically and have time to actually enjoy it.

My local dealers mainly stock Denon, Yamaha, and Integra in this range (others, like Marantz, are available too, but I've mainly been looking at these three). The Denon 1906, the Yamaha RX-V657, and the Integra DTR-5.5 all look pretty competitive. Given that it'll be nearly impossible to A/B/C these units under anything approaching similar conditions (different dealers, different rooms, different speakers), I'm looking for feedback on sound quality and reliability to help me with my decision. One advantage the Integra has over the other two is a 3-year (vs. 2-year) warranty. I also happen to like the Integra dealer better than the Denon, but that's a relatively minor factor.

Opinions on other competing models (Sony ES? Marantz? Pioneer Elite?) are welcome. I'd be willing to move up within a given line if there's an obvious benefit other than wattage or some feature I don't really care about.

Thanks in advance,

Sean

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.