AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why doesn't any manufacturer offer switching capabilities for bi-amp.....if you have 7 amps & are using only 5 for surround...wouldn't it be great if you could use the other 2 to be able to bi-amp your main speakers for 2-channel listening.....Does anyone think this should be an option or am I just crazy?

Thanks....

Joe

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Receivers with a full set of preamp outs and main ins can do this... some of the H/K models... there may be others.

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steve,

Right....I know this but most manufacturers...like Denon believe that pre-main in-outs couse noise of atleast a potential for noise......so I was wondering if they could do internal switching to "assign" the amp....kinda like you can assign 2 channels to a second zone......that could work for b-amp...except second zones typically use analog outputs....so why not just be able to switch internally....

Thanks

Joe

·
Banned
2,846 Posts
It CAN be done, at least on a Denon 5803 (and I would assume, on a 3802/3803 and 4802 also in the same manner) as follows:

Bi-Amping on a Receiver?

You betcha! True all of the benefits of bi-amping cannot be realized without eliminating the passive crossovers in the speaker system and actively bandwidth limiting the signals line level, but adding more clean power to a system is usually a good thing and something I happily welcome. The initial phase of my listening tests were to be conducted in 2 channel and 5.1 multi-channel surround and audio. I thought to myself, why let those two hulking 170 wpc amps that would normally power the back surround channels go to waste. I figured I could simply route the preouts of the main channels into the pre-ins of the rear back channels and boost my headroom by 3dB for the front channels and go to bed with a smile on my face that I had a receiver pumping 340 watts to each of my main speakers.

Well it didn't quite turn out that way as Denon did not provision preamp couplers for this task. A quick phone call questioning “why?†to Denon's fabulous tech support revealed that they did this for a very good reason, eliminate a path for noise. Ordinarily I would have questioned that, but the very fact that year after year, Denon products, namely their receivers and DVD players always measure some of the lowest noise floors in the industry as illustrated by their exceptional Signal to Noise (SNR) measurements in all modes of operation conducted by various audio publications.

After some thought, Denon tech support gave me the info on how to accomplish the bi-amping task. Here is how to do it. Note this will only work if you don't plan on using the amps for surround back channels or multi zone 2 applications.

Bi-Amp Configuration of Main Channels

Step #1: Connect a pair of analog RCA cables from the preamp outs of the “Front†channels to an unused input of the AVR-5803 (In my case, I chose VDP).

Step #2: Select the chosen input as the source for Multi Zone 2.

Step #3: In the Multi Zone Control menu, select power amp assignment for “Multi Zone 2â€.

Step #4: Using the internal test tones of the AVR-5803, position the SPL meter (slow response,

C-weighted) at the listening position and increase the master volume control until each speaker

reads about 75dB.

Step #5: Disconnect the speaker level connections from the “Front†channels at the AVR-5803 and

reconnect them to the appropriate “Multi Zone 2†speaker level connections.

Step #6: Repeat Step#4 while varying the “Multi Zone 2†volume level. I found nearly unity gain

correlation between the “Front†channel and “Multi Zone 2†amplifiers to be at the “Multi Zone 2â€

volume level setting of +2dB.

Note: It would have been nice if the channel trim for this volume level control had +/-0.5dB precision, as all of the other channel trims of this receiver had, for better precision. Better yet, it would have been even nicer if Denon had a unity gain strap for this exact application so I could have avoided the pains of this set-up. Hint Hint. During my operation of the receiver in this set-up, I was always a little concerned if the wife or my daughter were to accidentally press a few wrong buttons on the remote and screw things up. However, if I couldn't audibly notice if this problem occurred, then I probably didn't deserve to worry about it.

Step #7: Remove the jumpers on the back of the main speakers (you would be amazed at how many people forget to do this, Yikes!)

Step #8: Connect a set of wires from the “Front†channels of the receiver to the highs section of each of your front speakers and a set of wires from the “Multi Zone 2†channels of the receiver to the lows of your front speakers.

All of the basic audio calibrations were now complete, with a sign if relief, I was filled with anticipation to begin my subjective listening testing of two channel and 5.1 multi channel audio.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a Denon 4802 & I was thinking the same thing about the zone 2 amps....but I didnt want to use both analog & digital outs to the same speaker.....I may try it, just to see but I would surely use the digital out(main speakers) for the highs & the analog(zone2) for the lows....anyone have any experience doing thisZ?

Thanks

Joe

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
The Pioneers, at least the high-end ones, can do it with a menu selection.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mark russ
It CAN be done, at least on a Denon 5803 (and I would assume, on a 3802/3803 and 4802 also in the same manner) as follows:
Hey, matt - just be sure to give a link to the original source of a quote that long next time please.

http://www.audio*holics.com/productr...AVR5803p4.html

(remove the asterisk)

No big deal, but I think it's only fair.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Mark,

I'm wondering if step #1 of your procedure could be skipped.

I mean if the multi room input selection is set to the same input than the main room then it should give the same result, no ?

What is the purpose of the first step ?

Also, you did not comment about your result ?

Have you noticed an improvement with your new setup ?

Greetings,

Olivier

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have read thru the manual of the Pioneer Elite 43TX & 47TX, and I'm pretty sure you can re-route the 2 back channels amp to bi-amp your front. The 45TX has some multizone options for the back channels, but I don't think it is designed to be used for bi-amp.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The manual for the Euorpean version of the Pioneer 55txi says you can bi-amp via a menu option. I would imagine that it's U.S. version works the same.

·
Registered
16 Posts
"The Yamaha RX-V2400 and 1400 can do bi-amp wiring to the front left and right speakers."

Anyone done thsi with a 1400? Just picked up a 1400 to try out with this in mind. I have some Polk RTi150s and 2x110W would be quite nice on those :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bfriend
The manual for the Euorpean version of the Pioneer 55txi says you can bi-amp via a menu option. I would imagine that it's U.S. version works the same.
Can anyone confirm that the US version of the 55txi does also work this way?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Yes. It can be done with the new receivers as well as the older ones (43TX and up). You need to keep a 5.1 set-up...

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Joshua,

I beleive the 43tx & the 47tx do have the menu option for "front biamp"....but I have not been able to find if the newer(53tx & 55txi) have that same menu option....I have seen others say, no they do not...I know the 45tx does not....atleast not in the owners manual....

Still looking for the info...

thanks...

Joe

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
bfriend,

I am looking for someone who owns the 53tx or 55txi....wondering if one of those can do this.....by the way, have you tried the 47tx in biamp mode?.....I am also looking for someone who has tried this & what the result was.....anyone?

thanks....

Joe

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.