AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My room is only around 15 sq meters (4.24 m length x 3.57 m width x 3 m height).

Will I hear a difference from using an AVR compared to a Processor + Amp setup?

I will be using Focal Electra In-wall 1003 Beryllium for my LCR speakers. Setup will be 7.1 or 5.1.2.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
Short answer is it depends on a lot of variables including your listening volume preferences. Your speakers are rated 90dB sensitivity.

In my room I could not tell the difference between dedicated 300 watts per channel Crown amps vs. the internal amps on a Denon 4520CI in peak SPL levels up to reference volumes. The peak SPL level on dynamic tracks in movies was the exact same.
However my speakers are six dB more sensitive at 96dB per 1 watt --- (yours are 90dB). 6dB requires quadrouple the power! So what I'm doing with 1 watt, yours would take 4 watts to do. Or what I'm doing with 50 watts, yours would take 200 to do. A flagship AVR is capable of putting out about 150 watts per channel, a bit less with all channels driven, but for real world content on a flagship level mainstream AVR you're probably good for a trueish 130 to 150ish watts per channel. Your speakers are only rated for 240 watts. From 150 watts to 240 watts is less than 3dB difference. So from what a flagship AVR can produce to what the most your speakers can handle is a relatively minor amount of SPL. 3dB is 3 clicks (or 6 clicks if in .5 dB increments) on your AVR. That's a very modest increase to run seperate amps, unless you are right on the fringe of not getting the volume you want, and clipping the AVR output.

My listening position is about 12.5'
I lose about 10dB to my listening position from 1 meter SPL levels in my room at the 12.5' distance.

You might check out this thread. (there are a LOT of variables here)
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/1925514-tell-me-how-much-power-i-need.html

I'd recommend starting with an AVR and only upgrading to an amp if you find you need it.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
First, there's nothing magical about separates. A receiver is basically just a pre-amp and amp bundled in one package. That they're aggregated apart doesn't make them necessarily better.

The usual motivation for separates (besides marketing) is to have more amplification.

90db is still pretty high sensitivity. They're not hard to amplify. You won't hear the difference.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
While there is nothing magical about separates they can sound different (as can AVR brands). If an amp is capable it does not matter if it is in one box or two. However, sound does differ between different processors whether in and AVR or a pre-pro.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts