AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for best bang for buck quality receiver that has both ATMOS, pre-outs and a fair amt. of power and ideally spending under $1k which is probably the issue. Definitely open to refurbished, i.e. Accessories4less or B stock. Likely will be powering a 7.2 system in a fairly large room. Speakers B&W either 683 or CM9's. The reason for the preouts is understand the B&W's perform better with more power, i.e. separate amp for L,R,C. Multiple zones would be good as well, at least one other, ideally 3 zones. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Greg

·
Registered
15,324 Posts
Looking for best bang for buck quality receiver that has both ATMOS, pre-outs and a fair amt. of power and ideally spending under $1k which is probably the issue. Definitely open to refurbished, i.e. Accessories4less or B stock. Likely will be powering a 7.2 system in a fairly large room. Speakers B&W either 683 or CM9's. The reason for the preouts is understand the B&W's perform better with more power, i.e. separate amp for L,R,C. Multiple zones would be good as well, at least one other, ideally 3 zones. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Greg
Seriously... wait for products with both Dolby Atmos and DTS:X (and newer HDMI chips) included. They'll still show up on A4L a few months later at a better price. Why only have half a loaf?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seriously... wait for products with both Dolby Atmos and DTS:X (and newer HDMI chips) included. They'll still show up on A4L a few months later at a better price. Why only have half a loaf?
Do you know when they will be out? I know Pioneer Elite's have started coming out. Trouble with all this stuff is there is always something. But yes, you make a very good point - stuff is just about to start coming out and I could use my existing Onkyo 608 which is not a bad receiver to tide me over. Thanks!

·
Registered
15,324 Posts
Do you know when they will be out? I know Pioneer Elite's have started coming out. Trouble with all this stuff is there is always something. But yes, you make a very good point - stuff is just about to start coming out and I could use my existing Onkyo 608 which is not a bad receiver to tide me over. Thanks!
Usually late summer, early fall for the lower to mid level models. The upper tier models might come out closer to the holidays.

·
Premium Member
1,764 Posts
Yup. With DTS:X right around the corner, I'm thinking about holding off myself unless I just find a stellar deal on some of the existing pre/pros. I almost feel like we're back in 199x when I was about to get a Dolby Digital receiver and then receivers started coming out with DTS. I was SO glad I held off just a few months as I thoroughly enjoyed both formats (but preferred DTS).

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Greg
ok - I want to revisit this. I was originally thinking of waiting to get an AVR with DTS:X but have been checking the new DTS:X receivers and they are either very expensive or do not support pre outs, Denon 7200 expensive, or Onkyo 747 no preouts. So not sure I want to wait. I have to drive 4 ohm Totem Tribe III speakers and have just purchased a barely used Parasound 1203A that has 140W into 8ohm and 200 into 4 ohm for 3 channels that I want to use for L,C,R. Big room with 7.1.

I was looking at the following:
• Onkyo 838 - $699 open box or refurb for $599 – 130watts, Zone 2 powered & a zone 3 w/o power could use a separate amp I have for that zone to power.
• Integra 40.6 -$600-$900 ebay 110Watts, powered zone 2 only if 5.2
• Yamaha Aventage no HDMI 2.2
- 2040 – Acc4less: $1,199
• Denon 4100 $799 Acc4less but no HDMI 2.2
• Marantz 7009 – 9.2, 125Watts $1,299 Acc4less no HDMI 2.2

Seems like the Onkyo is best bang for buck. Am I missing something? I would like to get something with DTS:X but seems quite pricey at this point and not sure I want to wait 6-9 months. Musically I understand Marantz to be the best followed perhaps by Yamaha. But both are a bit pricey. Not sure how important 2.2 is, but not sure I want to risk it. Are there newer receivers coming out that I should consider?

·
Registered
15,324 Posts
ok - I want to revisit this. I was originally thinking of waiting to get an AVR with DTS:X but have been checking the new DTS:X receivers and they are either very expensive or do not support pre outs, Denon 7200 expensive, or Onkyo 747 no preouts. So not sure I want to wait. I have to drive 4 ohm Totem Tribe III speakers and have just purchased a barely used Parasound 1203A that has 140W into 8ohm and 200 into 4 ohm for 3 channels that I want to use for L,C,R. Big room with 7.1.

I was looking at the following:
• Onkyo 838 - $699 open box or refurb for $599 – 130watts, Zone 2 powered & a zone 3 w/o power could use a separate amp I have for that zone to power.
• Integra 40.6 -$600-$900 ebay 110Watts, powered zone 2 only if 5.2
• Yamaha Aventage no HDMI 2.2
- 2040 – Acc4less: $1,199
• Denon 4100 $799 Acc4less but no HDMI 2.2
• Marantz 7009 – 9.2, 125Watts $1,299 Acc4less no HDMI 2.2

Seems like the Onkyo is best bang for buck. Am I missing something? I would like to get something with DTS:X but seems quite pricey at this point and not sure I want to wait 6-9 months. Musically I understand Marantz to be the best followed perhaps by Yamaha. But both are a bit pricey. Not sure how important 2.2 is, but not sure I want to risk it. Are there newer receivers coming out that I should consider?
I'd wait. HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2 encryption support are necessary for 4k media going forward. You'll end up with DTS:X as a nice bonus.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts