AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting interested in purchasing Dish 6000 but will need component switching. I know that Gary Merson has said only a few AV receivers have adequate HD component switching. I should have printed the article - but didn't.

Does anybody know of AV receivers with component switching with enough bandwidth for HD?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Would do a search of the Forum & the Audio Forum, you'll tyrn up a few good threads about a month or so ago. There is also a special guest, David Birch Jones on the guest forum that discusses the issue.

Onkyo 989 & Denon 5800 do have sufficient bandwidth. There are a handful of others.

Tim

·
Registered
18 Posts
the onkyo tx-ds696, tx-ds787 will work also. all of the flagship recievers do it. I have researched this alot. any info you need just drop me a line.

·
Registered
731 Posts
The B&K AVR307 does it also. I have a Sony DVP-S9000ES and a Sony Sat HD-100 switched through it. I changed back and forth from direct connect to my Toshiba TW65H80 and through the receiver and can detect no degradation at all.

Roger

------------------

System: B&K AVR307, Toshiba TW65H80 RPTV, Sony DVP-S9000ES DVD, JVC HR-5400U SVHS

Philips CDR880 CDR, Sony SAT-HD100 & B50 DBS, Phase Linear 8000 Turntable

Polk RT2000P mains, Polk CS350 Center, Polk LS/FX Surrounds

Sunfire Signature True Subwoofer, Pronto Remote

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Yamaha RX-V1 does HD just fine. No visable degradation viewing with a Pioneer 505HD plasma. Component bandwidth claimed to be 100 mhz.

------------------

- gridleak... biased toward HD

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I have Gary's newsletter, and Tim is right, not all flagship receivers have the necessary bandwidth for HDTV switching. Of the 25 receivers tested, only three do: The Denon 5800, Integra 9.1, and Onkyo 989.

The Onkyo 696 and 797 are specifically listed as NOT capable, along with the Yamaha RXV1. The B&K 307 was not among the ones in the test, but I doubt that it can handle it either.

------------------

Vic Ruiz
STOP HDCP/DFAST/5C

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vruiz:
The Onkyo 696 and 797 are specifically listed as NOT capable
I think you have your models confused. The Onkyo 797 does not exist (yet) and the 696 was just released last month (Gary's report was released in Spet. 2000). Unless there is a newer report it doesn't even include the Onkyo 787, which BTW Onkyo claims has 50Mhz bandwidth which should be plenty. The report does state that the RXV1 is only 20Mhz. Also regarding the 696 here is a quote from an Onkyo Press release:

Quote:
The Onkyo TX-DS696 is the only under-$1000 A/V receivers with a component video switching capable of handing HDTV (High Definition Television) and progressive-scan video signals. With a video bandwidth surpassing of the 50 MHz professional standard, the TX-DS696 can deliver a video image quality unmatched at this price point.
Jay

[This message has been edited by jerndl (edited 06-02-2001).]

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have the Onkyo 787 and can vouch that it works. also happens to be a great receiver.

------------------

Jamie

[This message has been edited by JFLNYC (edited 06-02-2001).]

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have the Denon 3300 and I'm using the component switching with HDTV through a DTC-100 - also use component for DVD. I've checked it out with a direct hook-up vs. through the Denon 3300 - no difference - same great picture.

·
Super Moderator
21,524 Posts
I am also looking for component video switching for Pioneer PDP-505HD and Sharp LC-20VM2 I have a Lex MC-1 which has no component switching- I got a Sierra Video Systems Component switcher (4 in, 1 out with looping)on ebay that works nicely, but would need to write serial program for remote control to Crestron 1550C- I am considering new Lexicon MC-12 which adds 4 component inputs

I have tried S video and RGB but nothing looks as good as Component

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
The contention that all flagships can do HD component switching can be addressed using bandwidth metrics. The answer is a handful do it.

What may be confusing is that all component switchers will switch HD component analog sources. It will of course work. Depending on the unit some info will be lost w/o sufficient bandwidth, but this may range from barely perceptible to very noticeable. The good news is that bandwidth is moving down from the flagship line from a small subset of manufacturers, notably Denon & Onkyo.

Tim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.