AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I have read that some AV receivers does not process the audio via HDMI 1.2 or above, only video. Is it true? BTW, I already did a search here about that issue, but I found no specific results.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Rodrigues

·
Registered
968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigues_Brazil /forum/post/12987073

Hi everyone!

I have read that some AV receivers does not process the audio via HDMI 1.2 or above, only video. Is it true? BTW, I already did a search here about that issue, but I found no specific results.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Rodrigues

You have to be careful with the word "process". There are receivers that provide HDMI switching but "process" neither audio or video via HDMI. These mearly pass through the signal "as is" withough changing e.g. processing it. The Arcam is such a receiver and a very good one at that.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Some receivers will say something like HDMI 1.3 switching, 1.1 repeating.

I believe that means they handle HDMI/MPCM audio or Dolby Digital/DTS bitstream. They can't decode Dobly Digital+, DTS-HD Master Audio or TrueHD.

There are higher bandwidth video features in HDMI 1.3 such as DeepColor and xvYCC. Those receivers should be able to passthrough HDMI 1.3 video.

It's unclear to me whether or not they play back the audio when DeepColor and/or xvYCC is being used for video. Are you planning on getting a TV with DeepColor or xvYCC support? There are some xvYCC video cameras, but I don't know of any DeepColor video sources.

·
Registered
7,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both!

I just bought the Oppo 980H DVD player and the manufacture says that is possible to get audio multi channel through the HDMI v1.2a (PCM and DSD) but DSD over HDMI requires compatible A/V receiver.

Actually I do not care if I have to connect one additional digital audio cable to my currently A/V receiver, however I was really disappointed with the sound quality from a SACD through the analog cables, then I wouldd like to jump to a new receiver, what can give me a better sound from a SACD through Oppo. If I could get that from a HDMI cable, fine, but If I don't, I would really appreciate some advice about a good A/V receiver what makes a good work with SACD's and analog cables.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Look for HDMI 1.2 or HDMI 1.3 receivers which specifically mention DSD/SACD handling as one of their features.

·
Registered
7,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/12989424

Look for HDMI 1.2 or HDMI 1.3 receivers which specifically mention DSD/SACD handling as one of their features.

Yep, thank you!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts