AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone tel whether it is possible to use an av rceiver with an output of 80 watts through speaker only made for 70 watts without blowing the speakers, if so how do you avoid blowing them. Cheers if anyone can help

·
Registered
495 Posts
Try not to turn them up past 130db?

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
More than likely, the receiver rated at 80 watts will not put out near that amount if it's a home theater receiver. If it's a stereo receiver, with 2 channels driven, it will probably be quite close to that number.

If you are going to listen to your system with it cranked all the time, just be careful of too much distortion being sent from the receiver to the speakers. The distortion will kill them long before the extra 10 watts of power ever will.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
From what I have read, speaker power ratings are pretty meaningless; only the "minimum" power rating tells you much. In most cases the more (clean, as in low distortion/noise) power you provide your speakers the better, since you are then less likely to have the amp go into clipping (distorting the waveform) and doing damage. For example, my speakers are "rated" at 150 watts (continuous), but I use a 300 watt amp (600 watts into 4 ohms) and not only are there no problems but they sound great. Also, most well-made speakers will handle short term power peaks 2-3 times greater than their "continuous" rating. My speakers will actually handle over 500 watts, according to the manufacturer, who also makes pro speakers designed to handle thousands of watts. Unless you have really, really cheapo speakers you should have no problem at all with the scenario you mention.

Dsmith

·
Registered
414 Posts
What I have read and recomendations of persons within this field is that A low powered AMP is more likely to blow up speakers due to distortion etc. then an amp with ample power

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.