AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older version 733 P111, what upgrades should I do? Motherboard, P4-? 9700tx,H3D ect Would love to get a better pitcure from my sat. systems than I get now from the HDD200. Plus beter dvd playback. Thanks for your help

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
caryt,

What's an av science computer? An HTPC bought from the host of this site?

What's a 733 P111?

Sorry for being ignorant but I thought someone should at least acknowledge your post. I would be happy to help, but I clearly don't understand the question.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
What is it you are lacking...

I recently upgraded out of a 733 to a P4... For gaming and some dscaler filters this made a difference if trying to do ffShow with TomsMoComp it was needed but I can honestly say it made not one once of difference to my DVD playback...

If you are trying to do something and your HTPC is too slow then focus on fixing it, if it is just the desire for more power (URG URG URG :) ) then what do you need it for... My 733 used to run Tom's GreedyHM no problems with dScaler and I was content... Free PC parts came my way so I built another box...

Arguably the 9xxx series of radeons and new catalysts perform better than the lesser (7500 more so than the 8500) series of cards but dpending on your display I would say a MP modified 7500 would kick a 9xxx anyway... Perhaps a 9xxx modified by MP is a good investment...

Really without knowing where your system is letting you down or what you want or need to do, its hard to advise you on what changes to make...

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies.

What I think I need is to use a holo3D tied to a new MP radeon 9700 pro card to scale my C-band and dish 500. Hopefully, the picture quality will be better than scaling done by my HDD200.

I have an Ampro 4600 that can handle 1920 x 1080 P and an 84" Stewart screen.

The MP radeon should be an improvement over the Gen force 256 that came with this unit.

Since the mother board and processor are slower compared to a new P4, I thought I would change them out at the same time and reuse then to upgrade my wife's PII- 300.

Upgrade the 30 gig HD to 180 HD for future PVR use.

Upgrade to XP PRO rather than keep win 98, also for future upgrade abilities.

Install TV tuner card for OTA and future OTA-HD content.

So, this is why I looking at upgrading internals of my AV Science computer.

Any and all imputs would be helpful and appreciated.

Thanks,

Cary

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
look at buying a new case for the existing mobo and compnents then get a compatable mobo for the case... look around the forum for recomended equipment others have used and build it fresh with the existing case.. but id also recomend upgrading the existing proc to the fastest p3 the board will handle since they are so cheep now days..

I recomend an integrated mobo with as many ports IE firewire usb2 as possible for furure ext expansion of drives and what not.. I have had wonderful luck with msi mobo's. plus they seem to be cheeper in oklahoma and well i dont have to order them or pay the cost's compusa wants for thier asus boards.. oh and with an integrated you can always go back to the things onboard rather then the ext cards if something breaks and you arent truely dead in the water though it might not be running 100% until you can get a new card..

i still havent fully built me a htpc as of yet.. but i have built a fileserver from an msi board and a half a$$'s htpc using a via epia 800 which was a little jittery with dvd playback and tv wasnt all that great.. but i just through it together to test the mobo.. im turning it into a carputer.. think others have suggested the p4e mobo think thats what it is at least but there are several threads going right now about suggested compnents

good luck and post the setup you have decided upon

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Unless your sat has component output you may not need the H3D... Real soon now an official release of dScaler will support these new cheap chipset'ed TV input cards with low noise floors.... For S-Vid in they are a very close call visually (so I have read) a big difference financially (of course if you have component the H3D is the only game in town)...

Yes ditch that GeForce 256 in favour of a better GFX card... Do the scaling in the HTPC with dScaler (or the H3D) and output everything at 1080p

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The HDD-200 has RGBhv or component which I can set for 480p 720p or 1080i. So would i feed the component to the h3d at ? then scale or feed it with the rgbhv. Any one with a system like this?

·
Registered
11 Posts
For a Newbie's first post here - what is an MP modified Radeon?

And Phat Phreddy - do you expect that dScaler will support Radeons soon?

Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.