AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 4532. Initially I had an odd problem where I got no audio via the coxial feed. That seemed to get fixed by a hard reboot. But I still have a lingering problem --- Everytime I change channels, I get a brief (2-4 seconds) of the "av signal loss" screen, before it then "finds" the feed again and restores the picture. I do not see this problem on my 5040 (same cable box and cables). I thought I'd read about this problem in the forum but was unable to find anything about it by searching. I did find a post from today where someone was getting this and it was suggested the problem was a lack of disk space -- that clearly isn't my problem. Any ideas?

·
Registered
915 Posts
That's a different problem. You're not actually losing signal. It's more of a channel change timing problem. Sometimes, you can adjust the settings for the IR code you are using and the problem goes away. All it's really doing though is extending how long the black screen stays up so you don't see the no video signal screen.

IR Blaster Fine Tuning - No Video signal when changing channels

1. Increase Response delay to 500ms

2. Adjust in increments of 50 - 100ms for best results

You can find details about getting to the fine tuning screen in the FAQ...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But does it make sense I would see the problem with the 4532 and not the 5040? Both of them are setup the same way on the IR Blaster.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Tact
But does it make sense I would see the problem with the 4532 and not the 5040? Both of them are setup the same way on the IR Blaster.
The 5xxx buffers a bit longer before starting to show the show, so I think this probably does make sense.

By the way, depending on what kind of cable box, satellite box, etc. you have, you may be able to speed things up a bit. For example, in the fine tuning section for the ir blaster, you may be better off forcing it to send 3 digits rather than one and/or to send an 'enter' at then end of every channel change.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, well I have to mess with that anyway...

I have about a 1 in 20 failure rate on channel changing. I have a General Instruments SFT2 cable box I got from Insight (at least as far as I can tell that's what it is). Currently I have it on IR blaster code 0276 with a forced enter. It works about 95% of the time but about 5% of the time I see the numbers show up on the cable box display, but the channel doesn't change. I guess I'll try forcing 3 and 4 digits. Any other suggestions for this particular equipment?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, apparently I am an idiot. I can't get a search to even find the post you just pointed me at. I do a search for General Instruments cable box, searching the Replay forum, doing the slowest search, with no date restrictions and the only hit I get is this string. What am I overlooking?

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Sounds like you did it right, but I get 122 hits when I search for "General Instruments cable box" using the 'only use if really needed (all results)' search in the replay forum. Are you sure that when you selected the 'only use if really needed (all results)' search the setting stuck? Until you click outside the drop down, it's easy for the setting to inadvertently change.

FWIW, here are the results of that search. You can probably narrow it down a bit rather than going thorugh all 122 posts.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/searc...der=descending

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
*sigh*

I used the one which says "slowest" not the "use only if needed" one. Thanks for clearing the mud out of my eyes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.