AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building a game room where there are four gaming stations each with an HDTV, as well as a large central presentation HDTV. Each station are to have four to six machines connected to their respective HDTV with some kind of HDMI switch. None of the stations can be connected to each other with wires, unfortunately.

At minimum, I want two switchable room modes: 1: push a signal to all 5 HDTVs simultaneously; and 2: each station's HDTV is sharing one of the station's machines on a switch.

The signal in mode 1 would not necessarily have to be easily switched across all the machines in the room—it can just be a dongle that I pass around. In an idea world, I could have the flexibility to control each of the station's HDTVs separately to have the mode 1 "global" signal or the mode 2 "local" signal.

I have not purchased any of the control system, switches, or even HDTVs yet. I'm looking for direction on what solutions you think would be most user friendly, convenient, and flexible.

Assume that price is no object in this setup. I can install in-wall control panels, if desired, the size of a typical light switch for each station, including the central presentation HDTV.

I greatly appreciate any suggestions you have. Thank you!

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
None of the stations can be connected to each other with wires, unfortunately.
If there no existing wiring and no ability to run new cables to connect these systems/displays together, you're not going to like any answer - either from a cost, reliability or usability perspective. Figure out a way to run some wires...

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
You require a wired connection between any PC and a Central Hub plus a wire from the Hub out to each HDTV to make what you describe work.

As above a schematic showing how many PC's per 'Game Station' is required.

No matter the budget if you want to move HD signals around you require wires.

Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thank you guys for your input. So it looks like wireless isn't an option. I figured maybe some kind of solution had crested the corner after hearing about Barco's Clickshare product.

Let me then narrow down perhaps a more simple question: putting the whole room connectivity aside, what about a switching solution for just each station? Say I have 6 machines with HDMI out to be connected to a single HDTV, do you have any recommendations for the switch/control center?

I'm curious about getting it to be controllable from a light-switch size wall-plate grid of buttons. I see that many HDMI matrix switchers have RS232 serial ports on them, but I have had no luck finding a wall plate keypad compatible with the switches. For example, the closest thing I found was this Crestron product: https://www.crestron.com/products/model/C2N-CBD-P , but it looks like it is Crestron specific, and I'm not sure it would do what I'd like it to do anyways.

EDIT: For example, this switch looks pretty good: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1126577-REG/kramer_vs_62h_6x2_4k_hdmi.html ,
but I'm not sure to what wall-mount button product I could attach it.

Thank you again for the help.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I think the easiest way to do this is with some HDMI splitters on each game console/computer.

-one split for the station's tv
-a second split for the main tv
-a third split that can go thru another splitter and into every single tv

each TV input would accept a different station's feed.

that third leg could also use an HDMI switcher if you run out of HDMI tv inputs, but obviously you need to be able to run several HDMI cords to each display.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts