AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Overall I am extremely pleased with my Mits WS-65869, and receive HD content over the air (CBS, NBC, ABC, occasional PBS, and now HD-NET rebroadcast through the WB channel).

The vast majority of the time, however, there is a synch problem between the audio and video. How much lag there is will vary but it never seems to be completely synched. I have read here that "rebooting" the TV by turning it off, and then on, will reset, but I really haven't noticed any improvement by doing this.

Does anybody know where this lag originates? Is it my HD Tuner, the local stations, something in OTA transmission, or what? It can be annoying, and I'd like to see if there's something that can be done about it.

My Mits is almost a year old, and I did do a firmware upgrade a month or so after getting it. I forget what version it is.

Any knowledgeable information on this subject would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

If I can establish for sure that it's not something unique to my situation, nothing wrong with the Mitsu HD tuner, then I'll gladly contact the various station engineers.

But I do want to make sure I'm on solid ground before doing so.

Anybody else with any knowledge/experience here?

P.S. Did this Philadelphia CBS station correct the problem after they were notified?

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
HI Don-

The fact that you report lip sync being off on most or all channels means

it's most likely your set. From what I have seen, other than occasional problems with the local ABC, lip sync is pretty close on all the stations.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Bob,

Many thanks for the reply.

Your suggestion certainly seems logical. I just checked now, and virtually all my OTA digital stations have some degree of synch problem. It's relatively subtle, though, so I wonder if perhaps it's not noticed by others.

I will be contacting Mitsubishi Support, to see what I can find out from them, to see if this is a known issue, and if so, if it has been addressed by a firmware upgrade, etc.

I'm glad to see that FOX is also increasing its HD offerings.

Best regards,

·
Registered
83 Posts
Don,

Same issues here, except not OTA but TWC Cable HD... PBS is intermittently off-sync... ABC is the worst/most out of sync by a half to a second off... NBC and CBS are generally OK with an occasional CBS out of sync by a fraction. I watch CBS the most on Mondays which is when I can tell. I'm waiting on TWC to come out and replace the cable from the yard to the house. (and waiting and waiting etc etc.etc...) I personally don't think it's your TV but I'm no engineer.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by miamijoe
Don,

Same issues here, except not OTA but TWC Cable HD... PBS is intermittently off-sync... ABC is the worst/most out of sync by a half to a second off... NBC and CBS are generally OK with an occasional CBS out of sync by a fraction. I watch CBS the most on Mondays which is when I can tell. I'm waiting on TWC to come out and replace the cable from the yard to the house. (and waiting and waiting etc etc.etc...) I personally don't think it's your TV but I'm no engineer.
Thanks for the reply and report, Joe. What area of NC are you located in? I'm in the Mooresville area, and have Adelphia cable. No HD offering yet, unfortunately. Apparently Adelphia is supposed to be rolling out HD in southern California, but even after personally contacting the manager of the local Adelphia office, no idea on if/when we'll get it here.

I wasn't aware that TWC was offering HD in Charlotte (although I guess you might be elsewhere in NC, now that I think of it).

I'm also inclined to think it's not my set, but I can't prove it. Mitsubishi's Tech Support response was very disappointing - they just instructed me to call the local authorized repair people for more information, and didn't address the question one way or the other.

Oh well.

Best regards,

·
Registered
83 Posts
Don, I'm in the Concord area. You may want to check out this "Charlotte HD" thread topic here in AVS (I'll do my best with the link):
Charlotte HD Discussion Thread

It mostly covers Time Warner and its offerings and goes back a year or so but will get you up to speed quickly. TWC offers 2 PBS HD channels, CBSHD, NBCHD, ABCHD, and did the NBA HD thing for the All Star Game. They have paychannels: HBOHD and ShowtimeHD. Supposedly "down the pike" is DiscoveryHD. I think they are making an effort. You do have to request a HD receiver and some new ones have come out but they don't charge any more for the HD receiver than they do for the regular digital cable receivers. HD channels (the free ones) are included with the "Digital Cable" package which runs me about $60/month incl. the box. I hear now that some folks have been successful at getting some form of an HD only package with their "Local Basic" (i.e. chann. 1-13 locals only package). That pkg would run I think $8 and to rent the box I think another $8/mo.

Big-time-fingers-crossed: hopefully by the end of '03 they will have the HD-PVR's out and offer that like they do the Cable Box with PVR feature. Read more in the thread linked above. Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.