AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to upgrade the audio/visual set up in my workout room. (I've found that rock music DVDs are better than a personal trainer.)

I don't think I need a surround system for the DVDs, since their all music (no car crashes, etc.).

My budget is $3,000 - $4,000 for a dvd player (thinking the new Oppo), a receiver (thinking the Yamaha RX-V667), speakers (thinking the Magnaplanar 1.7s plus a subwoofer).

Suggestions, please.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronadair /forum/post/19502926

I'm looking to upgrade the audio/visual set up in my workout room. (I've found that rock music DVDs are better than a personal trainer.)

I don't think I need a surround system for the DVDs, since their all music (no car crashes, etc.).

My budget is $3,000 - $4,000 for a dvd player (thinking the new Oppo), a receiver (thinking the Yamaha RX-V667), speakers (thinking the Magnaplanar 1.7s plus a subwoofer).

Suggestions, please.

If you've heard the Maggies and Like them I assume you've listened to comparable Martin Logan? If not, I recommend it, not because one is better than the other.

I haven't heard them but Salk Song Tower sure is interesting, especially with the optional ribbon tweet.

I really like Rythmik subs.

Ron

·
Banned
534 Posts
If you're considering the Magnepan 1.7's, make sure the Yamaha can handle low impedance loads.

The Rythmik subs would make an excellent match for the 'pans: fast; articulate; musical.

The new oppo 93 will not have dedicated analog 2 channel outs, if that makes a difference to you.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
How big is your gym?

You may still want 5.1 as many rock DVDs are DTS or DD 5.1 (and with your Oppo you can play Blu-rays). My favourites in my gym are Stop Making Sense and Peter Gabriel's Play:The Videos.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 /forum/post/19503287

How big is your gym?

You may still want 5.1 as many rock DVDs are DTS or DD 5.1 (and with your Oppo you can play Blu-rays). My favourites in my gym are Stop Making Sense and Peter Gabriel's Play:The Videos.

My gym is 15' x15' = 225 sq ft.

Good point about the 5.1 option.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
I would suggest getting 5 identical bookshelves (sealed or front ported so you can place them next to a wall) and a Rythmik F12.

Which bookshelves, depends on how much space you want to use up in your gym; and which ones you have listened to and like

- 3 pairs of KEF iQ30 (gives you one spare), a4l $330 / pair , $990 total

- Ascend Sierra-1, 2 pairs and a center, ~$2100

- DefTech ProMonitor 1000, $210 each (you can probably negotiate at a store), $1100

- B&W, Paradigm, etc

AVR, the Denon 3310 is on at $560 - move fast.

Save some money and buy a ton of Blu-rays and DVDs. It'll be an awesome gym (it's for working out, not sitting and critical listening).

Edit: If you live near a Frys and have room, they are selling KEF iQ70 for $250 each. Five of them with a Rythmik sub would be an incredible 5.1 for music at about $2K, leaving lots for AVR and Oppo.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts