AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I got an email from av123 (bought my speakers from them) with them showing they have ufw-10's open box for 300 bucks. i was looking at the a2-300 for my setup (denon avr-1909 and elt525 5.0 speakers) and wondering if they were comparable or if one was noticably better.

the av123 will probably cost more after shipping, but i'll get it sooner. otherwise, i was hoping for some input from you guys. thanks

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Personally I'd go with the UFW-10. They got a lot of attention back in the day. It's got a great finish, has a single band PEQ to help tame your nastiest room mode, and sound quality will be great. The eD sub might give you a bit more SPL for HT, being ported. But the UFW-10 is no slouch (look at the driver --> http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...-ufw-10/page-1 ) and it used to go for a lot more $.

And actually, looking at the Audioholics review, the UFW-10 potentially might give you more output. They measured 104dB average from 35-100Hz outside at 1 meter away. It might not go quite as deep with SPL as the ported eD. But I would take the UFW over the eD for the sound quality and tight bass.

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
There is nothing that AV451 has ever made that had a plug attached to it that could be considered reliable.

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
There is the Mr. Pu era, a transition period, and the post Mr. Pu era. As each era progressed, overall quality went in a negative direction. The UFW-10 was not an exception to this trend. It originally had a 350 watt amp, that then got changed to a 500 watt amp, and then the recent one, which can also be bought at Parts Express is said to be 240 watts. They all have different functionality. People waited a long time for replacement amps. One thread, among many can be found here:

http://www.av451.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41515

Note: copy the above URL to your browser and replace 451 with 123 to get the correct link.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai /forum/post/18151873

There is the Mr. Pu era, a transition period, and the post Mr. Pu era. As each era progressed, overall quality went in a negative direction. The UFW-10 was not an exception to this trend. It originally had a 350 watt amp, that then got changed to a 500 watt amp, and then the recent one, which can also be bought at Parts Express is said to be 240 watts. They all have different functionality. People waited a long time for replacement amps. One thread, among many can be found here:

http://www.av451.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41515

Note: copy the above URL to your browser and replace 451 with 123 to get the correct link.

Seems MLS claims they actually give 300W performance...but you're right, they look an awful lot like the PE 240W amp.

Those UFW-10's are so appealing for being small, sealed, and top notch finish... But every time I consider one, I bring my self back to reality when I remember all of the issues they've had. Shame too, since people that have owned a working sub often applaud the high SQ they offer.

Of course, at least with going what appears to be the PE amp, and modding the resistors to give the right EQ (if they even do mod anything)... they would seem to finally have at least a reliable amp solution, even though it's not the 500W killer it was supposed to be.

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
300 watt? That's good old Mark trying to make people think it's not as anemic as it looks. That's like saying Tom Cruise is 6' tall
There's no modding of resistors or anything else. It's his way of trying to finally get people off his back that've been waiting for years for a replacement to the one they had that died. Schifter's just having a garage sale and looking to dump stuff that didn't sell or that's messed up in some way.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Not sure if you thought I was implying it would effect power output in some way, but modding the resistors would only effect the frequency and level of the bass boost.

Most of the PE amps, and even the O Audio amps come with instructions for changing the boost by modding the resistors - it's just some soldering, so I assume they can handle it...if they are indeed doing it, and not using the off the shelf boost setting.

Still, if I were someone who had a bum UFW-10 under warranty, and saw my 350W amp with PEQ, that I thought would be replaced would be a stout 500W amp, eventually be replaced with what looks to be a 240W PE amp... I wouldn't be very happy...to put it mildly. Even if the amp could push 300W...it's still a lower powered, very stripped down amp compared to the 350W PEQ or 500W amps.

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
Agreed completely.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hi there, sorry i'm a bit lost. i'm reading a lot of people saying the ufw-10 is not reliable, and if that's the case then i'll just pass on it. even with the open box condition, it'll probably be more expensive, and so i'll just go with the elemental designs.

my room is about 25x12x9 while the listening area is about 15x12x9 and the room has two large doorways that open into the hall and kitchen.

i know the a2-300 is relatively cheap for subs, do you think it'll be strong enough to give me good bass?

·
Registered
2,226 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDomicron /forum/post/18153695

hi there, sorry i'm a bit lost. i'm reading a lot of people saying the ufw-10 is not reliable, and if that's the case then i'll just pass on it. even with the open box condition, it'll probably be more expensive, and so i'll just go with the elemental designs.

my room is about 25x12x9 while the listening area is about 15x12x9 and the room has two large doorways that open into the hall and kitchen.

i know the a2-300 is relatively cheap for subs, do you think it'll be strong enough to give me good bass?

The a2-300 should give alot of output and extension - probably moreso than any new sub in that price range...

Based on owners' opinions of the eD sub, I'd say it won't be as articulate as the UFW, but it has a solid track record (as far as I know), unlike the UFW.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.