AVS Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Okay, been a while. My basement reno was recently completed, and now thx to Covid, another 8 - 12 weeks to wait for furniture. So wasn't in a huge rush. Decided to move my Seaton Cat 8C's from my upstairs family room into my basement for use in the hybrid game room/theater there.

So decided to stain the boxes black, and finally got around to doing that this morning. First coat of gel stain after applying a conditioner.

First stain 2.jpg

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
For the life of me, I can't seem to remember how to wire the drivers. I think they are dual 4ohm voice coils IIRC.
Check which ones you have. I have multiple original AV15’s, and they are dual 2.

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I have dual 4ohm VC's. When I ran them in my dual opposed boxes, I wired the coils in series for 8ohm per driver. Then ran 2 driver per box in parallel for 4ohm to the amp.

Looks good!

Edit, just realized this is page 3, amp is a Funk.
Yes. Funk 2400w x 2 plate amp, I don't think he makes them anymore.

Technically if the amp actually gave 2400 per channel at 4ohm, it would be over driving these subs as they max out around 1300 watts IIRC. Not sure if I should worry about that. I think spanish was recco'ing to wire them so that a 2ohm load is seen at the amp, but not sure I trust the amp for that based on what Nathan said.

So with a dual 4ohm VC driver, if I wanted to send a 4ohm load to the amp ... how am I wiring them?

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
So after some further reading, I guess I can't actually get a 4ohm signal to the amp from a 4ohm DVC driver? Seems I have to run it at 2ohm short of using resistors?

So maybe I will have to go with @spanish68 suggestion to run the drivers to the amp at 2ohm...as I don't have a choice!

·
Registered
744 Posts
Yes, try it and see what happens. You should be good, I think that perhaps the power rating of your plate amp is peak? I use the speakerpower HT4000 plate amp, but that amp is rated to do 2ohm with no problem. By the way, those cabs look good!! Nice job.

·
Registered
744 Posts
My main concern is not the power of the amp, specially if you have a high pass below the sub's tuning point. My main concern is if the amp your using can substain the 2ohm load.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
My main concern is not the power of the amp, specially if you have a high pass below the sub's tuning point. My main concern is if the amp your using can substain the 2ohm load.
The Funk amps use pascal x-pro1 modules. These are listed as 2-ohm stable, so you should be fine.

Chris

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Thx.. Any idea how or if I should use a limiter in the allDSP software to protect the subs from being over driven?
I’m not familiar with that software.

I would set a safe HPF to control excursion and just listen for signs of distress when driving hard. It is quite possible to cook a driver, but generally takes significant abuse before damage occurs.

I modeled this in hornresp and got similar results to your model. I’m showing tune at 17.5hz with 2500g added. Pr excursion is quite safe. Driver is hitting xmax around 1000w. A 16hz 4th order HPF keeps excursion safe below tune. You can drop it to 15hz, but excursion is hotter below tune and gain is minimal.

Chris

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I just reread some of the earlier posts, and I’m not sure if you are saying 2500g added to pr, or 2500g total mmp.

Assuming 5.5cu net, tuning is 17.5hz with 2500g added, or 18.8hz with 2500g total.

Chris

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Actually I've been trying to figure out the same thing I think it is 2500 total mmp?

Here's what Mark at Mach 5 said to my various questions:

If you stick with the original parameters you should be fine.

Fs - 23Hz
Qms - 8
Sd - 1209cm2
VAS - 240L
Xmax - 35mm
Mms - 380g

There is a weight loaded under the dust cap and two removable weights in the back. The big one puts you into the initial 1800g mass you desired, the second is the 500g I just mentioned.
Alright, I added enough washers to get the weight to 2kg. You also have the 500g additional weight as well.
take all the weight off the rear and you will have 380-400g cone parts + 1000g weight under dust cap. First weight is 800g, washers are 200g and last weight is 500g.
I removed the weights, and their actual weights are 752g, 473g and 176g. So they total about 1400 grams.

Will all weights removed, the PR weights about 3,000 grams. But I'm assuming when calculating mass for this you would exclude the frame?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Actually I've been trying to figure out the same thing I think it is 2500 total mmp?

Here's what Mark at Mach 5 said to my various questions:

I removed the weights, and their actual weights are 752g, 473g and 176g. So they total about 1400 grams.

Will all weights removed, the PR weights about 3,000 grams. But I'm assuming when calculating mass for this you would exclude the frame?
EDIT: Missed the quotes. I would trust their math.
So it sounds like 1000g under dustcap, 400g base mmp, and the removable weights. Everything on will end up a bit under the 2500g added mass model.
I would just start with everything on, should end up under 18hz.

The models are just a guideline IMO, you can add/remove weight based on impedance sweeps to achieve desired tune.

Chris

41 - 58 of 58 Posts