AVS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Unrelated to the subs which I still haven't hooked up. But finally hooked up my Concentric-8's that I bought off of @AudioJosh recently and sanded, veneered and stained black (as per the last pic in this thread).

Hooked them up for fun as left and rights and listened to some music, have to say they sounded fantastic!

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
With my latest build, dual sealed Eminence NSW 21", I went to homedepo and got deep thread 1.5" screws and I believe they were #6 (width). You'll need either #8 or #6 and 1.25" or 1.5" in lenght. Phillip head is fine. Basic, but they worked great for me. As long as they are wood screws (deep thread), they'll work to mount your PR's and drivers.

With regards to the connectors. In my case, since I have one Speakerpower HT4000 plate amp powering my two subs, I used Speakon Neutrik 4 pole connector. You'll need one per box and the connecting wire if you're using one amp or one amp channel to power two subs. If it is just one amp or one amp channel for one sub, then a simple cup connector (round or square) should do the trick. Also, since my Speakerpower amp had a speakon connector, I only needed one speakon connector. Does your amp have the speakon connector?

Check partsexpress to get ideas or if you need to shop some sub supplies. If you need sub feet, grille mesh, etc, you can get it there. I just ordered some mesh since I'm going to build two grilles for my two subs and will use magnets to mount them.
I can't recall.. Why 4 pole speakon vs 2 pole?

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Also, 4 pole are easier to connect.
Was looking to buy a couple premade speakon cables to go from the amp to the subs.

I only connected a single wire pair (red and black) from the driver to the female speakon adaptor on the sub.

Should I purchase 4 pole or 2 pole premade cables, or does it matter?

·
Registered
2,943 Posts

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Any specific cable you prefer to use? For 4 pole, would I need quad cable?
I use the wire I linked to above (also available in black IIRC). Only 2 conductor wire required (I believe, as I don't see that you mentioned how you intend to wire things/what amp you're using? I didn't go through each post in the thread though).

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
I use the wire I linked to above (also available in black IIRC). Only 2 conductor wire required (I believe, as I don't see that you mentioned how you intend to wire things/what amp you're using? I didn't go through each post in the thread though).
Ah, thanks, missed the second link. For these subs I don't plan on bridging the amp. I used this to connect the driver ...

But it's been so long I can't recall how I wired it. Probably have to remove it and take a look unless I posted how I wired it in this thread which I will look at later.

I will likely swap my Funk Audio Sub Amp and use that for these subs, and purchased a Berry NX3000d for the remaining dual opposed sub upstairs in my family room and run that in bridged mode to deliver as much power in 4ohm to that sub.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Drivers are wired as noted here...

and the female connection wired like this:

connector.jpg

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Based on the above what do you think? Thanks for the recco btw, a 6 foot and a 25 foot 4 pole speakon cables from Monoprice even were going to cost me ~CAD$100, vs $50 for 50 feet of 12 AWG, I already had some neutrik connectors hanging around. Originally figured I'd just be lazy and buy the cables premade, but that's ridiculous.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Standard wiring, no need for anything more than I linked to above.
Awesome, easy enough.

On my remaining dual opposed upstairs, I actually used an banana plug connector on the sub itself, and for the wire I ran speakon connector at the amp and then banana plugs to the sub.

When I get the NX3000d, I will want to run it in 4ohm bridged mode so send 3000 watts (or whatever it actually sends) to that sub. Can I use the same cabling or would that cause an issue for some reason? Trying to figure out why/when 4-pole is needed.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Trying to figure out why/when 4-pole is needed.
For more "exotic" wiring schemes, or when bridging (the amp end needs to be wired +1(pos)/+2(neg) in this case, and you don't have +2 with 2-pole SpeakOns).

No need to overthink it. The price difference is negligible and you have more options.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
For more "exotic" wiring schemes, or when bridging (the amp end needs to be wired +1(pos)/+2(neg) in this case, and you don't have +2 with 2-pole SpeakOns).

No need to overthink it. The price difference is negligible and you have more options.
Thanks, so at the amp end I would go with +1/+2, and the other end I can keep the banana plugs?

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Well, certainly need to run REW. Hooked up the subs to my FunkAudio amp, threw in a 20hz high pass with a Q of 0.5, ran Anthem's ARC room EQ, and then threw in Avengers Infinity War, and was .... underwhelmed. Now, the room is massive (17x40) but I'm sitting only 14 feet or so from the subs.

Anyhow, can't recall the last time I ran REW so will have to brush up on that and the "new" UMIK I bought for it a year ago.

Also, IIRC, isn't there a way to use a combination of EQ to get something similar to say an 18hz (or possibly lower depending on measurements) High pass with EQ systems that only allow one to EQ down to 20hz? I recall reading it somewhere, but can't find it now!

61 - 80 of 90 Posts