AVS Forum banner

81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
That's a big room indeed. Is there a way that you can seat closer to the subs? That should help you some. Those subs should have good output, perhaps down to the 16hz-18hz range, measure to find out. Make sure you're not sitting on a null.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
No, they're pretty set where they are. But looking even at that ARC pre-EQ graph, I think I need to close mic them and see what PEQ they need. Just haven't had time to figure out REW again! I tried it months ago with the UMIK and just couldn't get it to run a sweep for some reason, and haven't got back to it.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Took me a few hours to figure out REW and UMIK, and not sure I have. But in any event, below is a 2" close mic of the sub (only showed once since both were identical), supposedly with a 20hz high pass filter on the Funk Audio amp (though it doesn't seem like it's there??).

Along with a sweep at the LP for both subs. Ignore the levels, for the life of me I can't recall how to calibrate the mic. It keeps telling me my UMIK is calibrated, but I am not running sweeps that loud.

Also wondering if I have some issues with leaks somewhere in the sub, some odd sounds when they first kick off, but not sure if that's just because the sweep starts below tune.

ARC is off for all of these.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Okay, so here is the naked response with no high pass filter.

Naked Close Mic SPL and Phase - AV15H PR.jpg

A few questions:

1. Is 15hz (where the phase jumps back up to ~180) basically the tuning of this sub?
2. When I set a high pass, I think for ported you'd typically use a 12db butterworth, and for passive you would want to use an even more steep 24hz? Thought I read that somewhere but just confirming.
3. My lowest adjustment is 20hz on the software I'm using for DSP. To get lower, I assume I could use a low shelf EQ at 20hz with some amount of boost and a Q of 6?

Given the naked response above, outside of a high pass, any other adjustments folks would recommend prior to me running ARC (Anthem room EQ)?

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Ok, so threw in this EQ:

Then ran a close mic and LP measurement. There was obvious distress at the lower end of the sweep, some bad noises coming from the sub. I don't understand he measurement, maybe the 6db boost at 20hz low shelf is causing a much more stressful result, but I don't see the roll off I would have expected with the high pass on?

Again, ignore the SPL levels (when I try to calibrate them in REW it tells me I'm aready using a calibration file so can't...unless I'm forgetting how to calibrate the SPL).

at LP with 20hz HP.jpg

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
For more "exotic" wiring schemes, or when bridging (the amp end needs to be wired +1(pos)/+2(neg) in this case, and you don't have +2 with 2-pole SpeakOns).

No need to overthink it. The price difference is negligible and you have more options.
Just following up here. So I want to bridge my NX3000d for 4ohm. So at the amp end I wire the speakon as red cable to +1 and black to +2? Leave the other side as banana plugs into the subwoofer.

Then simply flip the switch to bridge mode on the amp?

81 - 90 of 90 Posts