AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10,123 Posts
F3 = 60Hz, Q=0.55, nowhere near Xmax, so it you had more than 500W it could be EQ'd into something decent, but you'd probably get a lot more in a well sized ported or PR box.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
It would do rather nicely. Another cube or two will get you a couple more db down low. With only 500w you might want to bump up to 3.5 or 5 cubes and or get an EP4000.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I agree, you will need 1,000 or more watts to make full use of the AV15 sub in that small box. If you only have 500 watts, double the box size to 4cf if possible for more low end and better yet, use it in a 5cf box or so with 18" PR's for a nice improvement in the low bass. The downside? It will cost you an extra $200 or so.

·
Registered
8,691 Posts
Curious, I'm also looking at the AV15H in a sealed aligment. Will be wiring dual AV15H's into a 18x22x24" box (about 105 to 115 litres based on the volume calculator at the Shack, depending on what the volume of the drivers would be in the box ... does anyone know this?).

Was going to use a QSC RMX-5050 which would output 1900 watts into each box (2 boxes, 4 total drivers wired in series for 8ohm per driver and 4ohm per box per John at AE).

Am I exceeding Xmax considerably here from 20hz and under? Or am I doing something wrong with Unibox? Confused!!

Note: I left the Re at 2.7ohm, but do I need to change this if they are going to be wired as I note above to something different?

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
PBC:

Strange, I just took a look at that in WinISD... 115 liters, sealed with 2 AE AV15H's... even with 100 F voice coil temp rise modeled, I don't see you getting over xmax with 1900 watts applied, except under 8.5hz.

You are getting dual 4 ohm coils in the drivers? I know he has a few coil options available.

·
Registered
8,691 Posts
Edit, I think the box will actually be closer to 100 to 110 litres before fill (not sure if I need fill?), depending on driver volume. Internals are 16.5 x 21 x 20.5, plus say 200 cubic inches in bracing. Think the QTC is what I had wrong above as it's not calculated. WINisd implies a QTC of .59. But that seems to mess things up more?

·
Registered
8,691 Posts
Here's what John said ....

Quote:
I'd probably go with the dual 4ohm VC's for the drivers.

>>>> Wire the coils in series for 8ohm per driver. Then run 2

>>>> driver per box in parallel for 4ohm. That gives 1600-1800W

>>>> from the QSC RMX5050 which should be good for a pair of

>>>> drivers.

Can you attach your WINisd file and driver inputs? Want to see what the heck I'm messing up!

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
The coil option selected will very slightly change the parameters, but not enough IMO to be a big deal, the graphs should be very close to the actual measured response.

Yes, I will get you a snapshot of the parameters.

At the moment:

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Parameters:

·
Registered
3,680 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc /forum/post/18131202

Where do you input watts into WINISD? Also, that is duals per box?

BTW, where the heck is Nipigon? Towards Ottawa?

Under the 'Signal' Tab... that's where you input power.

Nipigon is way up North... the very top of Lake Superior. Way in the 'sticks'.

·
Registered
8,691 Posts
Does anyone have the VCd for this driver (what is VCd, voice coil diameter?)? Would be nice to be able to calculate the driver volume (call me anal!).

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
2 1/2" coil

"The new AV15-H has some major upgrades from the previous AV woofers. An upgrade to a larger 2.5" VC for more power handling and higher motor strength was the first significant change. At the same time they received an upgrade to the whole motor structure and now weigh in at a massive 37lbs. They also received the full copper sleeve on the pole much like our highly regarded TD series woofers, which greatly lowers distortion, inductance, and significantly helps to transfer heat away from the VC."

I don't own an AV-15, but I have a pair of the AV12-X, and I can vouch for their 'very' quiet suspension and motor design, as well as low distortion.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
The values you have for Vas and also Bl are different than mine. Are you using WinISD pro?

The 'pro' doesn't allow for any error in parameters, the original WinISD program did. Maybe that's the discrepancy?

·
Registered
8,691 Posts
I'm using Pro, but the Vas and BL are exactly what is on the AE site. I don't think they'd make that large of a difference though. The SPL graph makes zero sense??

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.