AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get my Rock+ modified for SDI and am looking for a DVD player with an SDI output. I know that TAW sells the Digilink, but this is a fairly expensive option. I also know that Immersive does mods on the Panasonic RP-56 and RP-91 as well as some other players, but I have heard that there is an issue with the RP-91 mod as far as compatibility with the Rock+ and that the RP-56 has some other issues. Are there any other options for obtaining SDI from a DVD player that would work well with the Rock+? Those of who have the Rock+ and SDI, what DVD player are you using and what is your level of satisfaction?

·
Registered
842 Posts
This is no longer an issue. The RP91 issue is fixed and works just fine with the Rock+.

·
ISF Calibrator
Currently in flux, but always an HDFury Device for incredible LLDV Dolby Vision on normal HDR10 PJs!
7,847 Posts
Smitty,

FYI, The Modified Denon 3300's are also units that work quite well with the Rock+ SDI, if you can still find one hanging around somewhere.

I highly suggest using one of the mentioned players (RP-91, RP-56, TAW DigiLink or Denon 3300) due to them not having the Chroma Upsampling error in their MPEG decoders. DO NOT get one based on a Pioneer player if at all possible!!!

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Strade
This is no longer an issue. The RP91 issue is fixed and works just fine with the Rock+.
Tom, there was a thread on the TAW Forum in late March or early April by acaciolo reporting a problem with the RP-91 and the Rock+. He was going to send it into TAW to have them look at it, but has not done so yet as far as I know, as he has been using the RP-56. When you say that the "RP91 issue is fixed," is this after the acaciolo report of a problem?

P.S. I'm the guy with the Panny DVD-H1000 that sent you the service manual.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Yes, the problem was isolated and we found a way to fix it.

Tony just sent his in for the fix so he can report it first hand soon.

The problem was relatively isolated to a few players/Rock owners and was actually a simple fix - too bad it took months of figuring out.

Tim Winders just got his player back but his Rock broke down prior to him getting his RP91 back and had to go in for service. So it may be a week or so before we hear from him about the RP91.

I'll contact you off-line about the mod of your DVDR.

Regards.

·
Registered
842 Posts
The RP91 is listed under their DVD-A section.

The RP56 has:

- Faroudja deinterlacing (not important for SDI, but a nice bonus in some cases)

- Toslink only SPDIF - although we now offer coax SPDIF upgrades

- No DVD-A

The RP91 has:

- Genesis deinterlacing

- Toslink and coax SPDIF

- DVD-A with limited bass management

My favorite player continues to be the Technics A10 and Denon 3300 as my top 2. They are, as mentioned above, tough to find though.

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
Key Digital, Immersive, and a few other companies sell "Factory Sealed" Panasonic DVD players. In other words, it is professionally modified and factory sealed from Key Digital, etc... Factory sealed from a professional company with no end user useage.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did I miss a post that was removed that provided a helpful link to a possible source for a SDI-modified player? Could someone send it to me by email or private message so we avoid the anti-marketing rules or whatever? Thanks.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I'm glad the SDI option is now working with the Rock. Small problems sometimes make big headaches!

Do you all have any intention of converting a DVD changer? I have a 5 disc Sony which is a really nice convenience. Any future in a mod on one of these or of another brand?

Thanks!

·
Registered
842 Posts
I think the Kenwood 5050 may be on the horizon.

Maybe a Denon changer too.

·
Registered
9,223 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Strade
The RP91 is listed under their DVD-A section.

The RP56 has:

- Faroudja deinterlacing (not important for SDI, but a nice bonus in some cases)

- Toslink only SPDIF - although we now offer coax SPDIF upgrades

- No DVD-A

The RP91 has:

- Genesis deinterlacing

- Toslink and coax SPDIF

- DVD-A with limited bass management

So other than DVD-A is there a benefit to the RP91? If you are using an external scaler with SDI the player's internal deinterlacer doesn't matter.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Yeh, sounds like if DVD-A isn't of interest to you, and its not to me since I have a Lexicon MC-1, then the 56 is just fine. I've been talking with Alan about picking up a Leeza/DVD combo, so I wanted to make sure what the options were there.

I just have to abuse my HTPC for CQC testing purposes too much, so I wanted to get something that I could use for my own viewing purposes, and the Leeza/SDI scenario seemed like a good one. I can use the Leeza as my video switcher, and toss the Kramer video switch. And it will do the sync inversion, so I can get the Extron 220 box out of the loop as well.

So if I end up picking one up, I'll probably be selling the Kramer 2503 video switcher (3x RGBHV, 400Mzh bandwidth, RGB control), and the Extron 220 box (a very nice sync converter, which outputs both on BNCs and HD-15 at the same time), if anyone is interested in them.

Of course I'll also then be able to do a Leeza driver for CQC :)

·
Registered
842 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Glimmie

So other than DVD-A is there a benefit to the RP91? If you are using an external scaler with SDI the player's internal deinterlacer doesn't matter.
None IMO. The picture quality is the same.

Especially since we now can add a digital coax output to the RP56 for those that want one.

Moreover, there may be a benefit to those that own scalers like the Vigatec or FE Centerstage that can take a 480P signal.

I'm likely going with the Pioneer 47A as a dedicated SACD/DVD-A transport modified by Modwright once I hear some testimonials. The Denon 1600/RP56 should be very nice video players for most.

Not to mention, as Glimmie will attest to, they are easy to mod! :)

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tom, my understanding is that the RP-56 is basically discontinued (but still available as existing stock runs out) and will be replaced shortly by the RP-62. I also think that I heard that the RP-91 is going to be replaced also. What is the likelihood that Immersive will be doing the SDI mod for the players that replace the RP-56 and RP-91? Will this be a virtual certainty since they will be similar products, will you not be able to determine this until you see the new players, or do you have any thoughts on this? This might be helpful to those who are thinking about waiting for the new players to come out in June and are hoping that some of the issues with the RP-56 or RP-91 will be remedied with the new products.

·
Registered
842 Posts
The RP91 is here for a while the last I heard. The RP82 and most, if not all, of the upcoming players should be fine too. Of course, I can't be certain till we pop the cover on one.

Any of the players that use the Fli2200 are a certainty simply because we know that there will be an exposed bt656 bus. The ones that don't use this chip are up in the air - but I doubt that Panasonic has moved to an integrated MPEG/deinterlacing chip so we should be OK on those players as well.

·
Premium Member
8,104 Posts
Tom,

The RP91 has lots of other bonuses (particularly for people not yet using the SDI output) - like aspect ratio, gamma control, and lots of other little nicities. That said, the RP56 is a great deal...

About the RP91 and RP56 - they are both getting increasingly difficult to obtain (e.g., the RP56 silver model has been discontinued, and anyone looking for the RP91 has to look very carefully to find one).

However, none of the new progressive Panasonic models are being sold yet, so it's very strange.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.