AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In looking for the next project, I came across the Avalon Acoustics speakers and really liked their interesting baffle design. They have some interesting cut outs and some would say those cut outs reduce baffle reflections and tightens up imaging.

They have a new speaker called the "Time" which uses dual woofers but I thought they would be to small for me since my listening room is open to the house, I thought I needed more SD for my bass section, so I decided on a dual 10" project and expand on all the dimensions of the Avalon Acoustics "Time".

I also thought it might look nice to add a little pyramid shape to it and made the top narrower than the bottom.

The baffle is 3" thick or (4) sheets of mdf glued together and I cut out the first two layers to open up more space behind the drivers while leaving contact area for the inner braces.

The outer dimensions are about 52" tall, 14.5" at the base and 10" at the top and 22.5" deep. The front and rear panels are swept back 6° and the sides tilt in at about 2°. Yes, if your wondering.......there was a LOT of math and checking and rechecking and one more time checking. What a pain..... But now that is done and I have moved on. Thankfully.

The front baffle is 3" thick, the sides and back are 1.25" and the top and bottom are 1.5" thick.

·
Banned
3,677 Posts
What drivers did you use? What about the crossover? Did you do that yourself? I would imagine that if you deviated from the original enclosure and driver setup that you would need to rework the crossover.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I simply used the shape of the Avalon Time and modified the size to fit my needs. Mine is much bigger.

The drivers are Wavecor TW022WA05 tweeter and Wavecor_WF182BD02 mid and dual Dayton_RSS265HF-4's in about 5cf with dual 12" Dayton passive radiators tuned to about 23hz.

Yes the crossover is completely original to this design. Since I've worked with Phil Bamberg in another project and he did a spectacular job as transforming someone else's very mediocre kit into a really musical and detailed system, I decided to use him for the mid and high for this system.

That was an easy choice as he was ready to release "The Bamberg 2TM" and I got to be the first to evaluate and it and decided blend the design it in my system. That Bamberg 2TM really is nice. Open detailed, non fatiguing. Everything I could want in a midrange and tweeter.

Given the WaveCor's well-known ability to produce bass, I was able to cross over the mid to the bass section low enough to really let the Wavecors low distortion carry most of the vocal section.

Phil helped me work out some of the design of the cabinet and integrating the 2TM with the bass section as he has worked out a lot of those details in his Series 5 and series 6 speakers.

It was my job to cross over the 2TM satellite section to the dual bass units. He was kind enough to offer suggestions along the way that really helped.

·
Banned
3,677 Posts
Ok, that makes more sense as at first I got the impression that you changed the original design with a different baffle/cabinet and different drivers with the stock crossover.

I am sure this nice looking speaker will sound great as Phillip has a great reputation when it comes to this kind of stuff. I am looking forward to seeing some more of your progress on this build!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Was waiting for more veneer to come in and couldn't wait to hear them. Since Phil Bamberg designed the mid's and tweet crossover, all I had to do was through together the bass and mid crossover.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Sweet

The result is very nice, all the facets and veneering, just real nice.

How's the balance in room?

Any measurements?

Any more details? Crossover points? -3dB point in room?

Is the mid an open back, it appears so but still curious? Is the pvc volume damped internally?

On-board, or outboard Xovers? All passive, or is the LF section actively blended in?

I know that's a lot of Qs, but these are nice, and more info would be nice.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They sound great. Tight Open and they play low and hard. The whole system is active and there are two Parasound HCA1000A to run the mid and high and an Adcom 555II to run the bass. Here are a couple frequency plots. Way more power than needed, but lot's of fun to play with. These are the plots I was using to work the mid and bass crossover. Phil Bamberg designed the mid and tweeter crossover and that sounds fantastic. The guy is a crossover wizard. I'll take some seating position full range measurements soon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts