AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So the original post got taken down? I understand. Let me tell you about my practical experience with the Avant X.

I have struggled with combining antennas aimed at different markets. The truth is, I gave up. I went with two tuners and with four TVs in the house it was just too much. I ended up making the kids pick which PBS channel from which Market they wanted, either Chicago or Milwaukee. We get the local news from Milwaukee simply because we hear about Chicago all day.

That's all changed now. As of Monday I am now picking up both markets with no stations or signal loss. I'm pretty excited.
I can let the pictures tell the stories. I'll start with how the Spectrum originally looked:

MILWAUKEE:

CHICAGO:

BOTH ANTENNA ARRAYS COMBINED:

As you can see there was so much interference I just decided to split the signals and used two different tuners. I hated it to because does Channel Master and the Homeworx have the same interface software so they really look the same it's hard to tell the difference what tuner you are using. Keeping track of of tuner remotes etc...

THE ARRAYS I HAVE COMBINED:

After getting both market arrays re-aimed and set up, I scanned my Spectrum again One Market at a time.

CHICAGO:

MILWAUKEE:

I'm satisfied with at least affected I have the settings correct so it's time to combine the two arrays.

Some of you with some knowledge might see a problem here. It only affects the Chicago Spectrum. To make a long story short , I had issues with my new array and had to keep it pointed at Milwaukee which forced me to take my extra long antennas and point them directly at a tree to catch Chicago . I know, I know, never point an antenna at a tree.

I found a few issues and I was able to get my Chicago pointed back in the intended direction, and turn my extra long array back to Milwaukee with no trees in the way. So, after getting things started I was able to dial in every frequency. I'll let the Spectrum analyzer speak for itself:

C= Chicago. M= Milwaukee.

·
Registered
153 Posts
US pricing is similar.

·
Registered
18 Posts
US pricing is similar.

Well that link showsa price of €326.57 )in euros) at today's exchange rate that would be $383.83. I hope i did not violate any rules by providing that.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well that link showsa price of €326.57 )in euros) at today's exchange rate that would be $383.83. I hope i did not violate any rules by providing that.
It's just shy of 400 USD. I just wished it was available four years ago, when I struggled with combining my antennas :cry:. I spent that much on tuners and crap to help me combine two arrays unsuccessfully

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just so folks don't get confused. Euro and Americas models are different. The Americas version applying to the North American markets is the 532180. Different filter width, input options, channelization, etc. The European versions have a SMATV input that's really not all that useful this side of the pond, which on the Americas version has been replaced by a CATV input for cases when the processed OTA carriers from the Avant are injected in a cable plant. That among many other details under the hood, so to speak.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just so folks don't get confused. Euro and Americas models are different. The Americas version applying to the North American markets is the 532180. Different filter width, input options, channelization, etc. The European versions have a SMATV input that's really not all that useful this side of the pond, which on the Americas version has been replaced by a CATV input for cases when the processed OTA carriers from the Avant are injected in a cable plant. That among many other details under the hood, so to speak.
For example on the other side of the pond, the channel width is actually 8MHz. You could never use European filters.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I called Televes and bought mine direct. The product is brand new and it's in short supply. As soon as I heard about it I wanted to get it. I didn't waste any time. Retail is $399.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The Avant is widely used in commercial applications, but we are seeing more and more interest in single family as a solution to multi direction reception situations

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have been waiting (and hoping) for something exactly like this for this for as long as I've had antennas. It used to be okay to play with the rotor until the digital transition. Actually it wasn't okay.

But this Avant X has exceeded my expectations. Allowing to me to move channels around where I want to. Even having two different antennas pointing at the same market for comparisons. Now this is the best thing ever for me. I am well aware of MATV & CATV Systems.

But it would be impractical for one home and three or four TV sets. I think this pretty much does a great job of making your home system more like a MATV system.

Oh, you just plug the Avant X into your PC, laptop or even phone and you can manipulate the channel assignments . I simply copied the Milwaukee array from the other antenna . It was very simple less than 5 minutes . You make your changes then you "send" them and then you click "adjust" .. unplug your box and reattach the cables . My only problem is my antennas come in from in my basement too far away from my PC . I'm going to go on Amazon and get a 20 foot USB micro cable . That will solve all my problems but the results are excellent . Here are the three inputs loaded :

Here are the results after adding another antenna to the Spectrum and reassigning the channels to unused Spectrum:

·
Registered
7,248 Posts
Normally when you combine antennas with a reverse splitter, you are subject to interference from multipath or out of phase signals that counteract and cause loss of reception. Does this new Avant X resolve that problem and does it have a built in amplifier or do you still need a separate amplifier for the antennas? It may be a very helpful device for combining antenna feeds from 2 different markets, if I understand correctly.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Normally when you combine antennas with a reverse splitter, you are subject to interference from multipath or out of phase signals that counteract and cause loss of reception. Does this new Avant X resolve that problem and does it have a built in amplifier or do you still need a separate amplifier for the antennas? It may be a very helpful device for combining antenna feeds from 2 different markets, if I understand correctly.
Totally solves this problem as it will filter only the RF channels from each input that you wish to receive. It doubles as a very powerful launch amplifier with a nominal output level of 55dBmV for 6 muxes (RF carriers). This output level can be adjusted and it will be automatically maintained over time by the Avant. With regards to pre-amps for your antennas, that'll depend on the situation. The Avant has an input range of -20 to 40dBmV, so as long as your input signals are in that range the Avant will be able to adjust them. You will not need a preamp for distribution purposes if this input range is met, as the Avant will amplify as needed. Should you need an input preamp or should you be using an active antenna, the Avant can provide power to it from each input (12Vdc/50mA). Hope this clarifies.

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
The Avant has an input range of -20 to 40dBmV, so as long as your input signals are in that range the Avant will be able to adjust them.
What happens to signals weaker than -20dBmV? The average TV can decode signals as weak as -35dBmV and maybe a little weaker. Are these signals passed through to the new channel number unadjusted or do they just disappear from the spectrum?

·
Registered
46 Posts
If the input signal is outside of the 60dB dynamic range of the unit, the Avant may not be able to adjust that mux to the desired output power, but any channel programmed in the input will appear in the corresponding output channel selected, adjusted as best as possible. Hope this clarifies.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I'm glad I found the Televes Avant X, now I have a central point to Route all my cables . It wasn't always like that even with the distribution amp .

I'm hoping to post the results later on but I I'm going to do some major housecleaning with cables, preamps wall warts, Splitters Etc. It's kind of embarrassing, but when you're looking for the two antenna solution, sometimes it gets a little messy..
And that's because I was trying different preamps Etc. I'm going to post pictures later but I'm redoing all my cables, Long Time Coming.

·
Registered
762 Posts
That cable cleanup must be satisfying, indeed - about to do mine, too.

I could see a use for this, but not at the price point it's at now. I also don't need 4-5 inputs.

Hey Telves - make a cheaper 2-input version of this, and you'll sell a bajillion of them. Anyone with a jointenna / preamp will switch to this.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts